US Postal Service

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
Bert. I think you just figured out my problem. They think I am in Detroit, MI when I am in Denver, CO:D.

ILENGINE

Lawn Pro
Threads
Yelp I had those weeks here. I just had a customer to want is Craftsman mower repair to come in two days later when the parts were arriving to cancel the repair work. Then when I returned the mower he thought I had it repaired. When I said no it not repair as you didn't want it repair he flew mad.

I actually had about three weeks of bad luck but things seems to working out now. And had similar thing to happen with an ignition coil. I got a mower running, shut it down as a thunderstorm was inbound. The next day it would not start. Somehow the lightning strike a 1/4 mile away fried the coil.

I have learned my lesson that I have to use small claims court to recover my money at times. It cost one customer over $300 to get out of a $100 repair job. Of course I haven't seen any repairs from her or her relatives but that is fine.
I have also gone the small claims court avenue in the past. But with bad checks I turn those over to the state's attorneys office and they take care of the paperwork. No filing fees for me, and unless I have to testify no time running back to forth to court over a several month period while it works its way through the court system.

Last bad check I got was also for a $100. But in the case of bad checks through the criminal system. They end up with a misdemeanor criminal record and then have to pay restitution plus court cost. Which in the case of the $100 check, they had to pay restitution to me of $135 and $593 in court cost, so that $100 check cost them $728.

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
Bad checks is why I am mainly a cash only business. Only my well establish customers are allow to pay via checks. I have been lucky in that sense as I had only one bad check since that case and the business customer just forgot to make a deposit on time. She called me before got my notice and things were taken care of quickly. I no longer accept the old I pay in a few days after I receive my equipment back, most will no pay once they get the equipment back.

The way banks charge for bounced items makes rough on the bouncer but there are still those that do it until they go to jail for it. Sometimes I think some just like jailhouse food.

jjdc

Forum Newbie
Threads
Bills don't come on time if at all, racking up late charges. After talking to the carrier, complaining to the post office I was told to send it registered mail, at an extra cost to me. I guess if it's being tracked, they have to do their job. I thought if I paid for stamps it was supposed to be delivered. Mail carriers change every month sometimes weekly. I have gotten mail for the next town over and delivered it myself. I have found checks for my address blowing on the lawn. Bills paid and put in the mailbox 200 feet from my house get lost 4 at a time, never to be seen again. My opinion is that they are dumping mail, they have gotten a Don't care, lazy, attitude while being paid to do their job. If you get paid no matter what happens, not a thing will change until they lose their job.

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
Bills don't come on time if at all, racking up late charges. After talking to the carrier, complaining to the post office I was told to send it registered mail, at an extra cost to me. I guess if it's being tracked, they have to do their job. I thought if I paid for stamps it was supposed to be delivered. Mail carriers change every month sometimes weekly. I have gotten mail for the next town over and delivered it myself. I have found checks for my address blowing on the lawn. Bills paid and put in the mailbox 200 feet from my house get lost 4 at a time, never to be seen again. My opinion is that they are dumping mail, they have gotten a Don't care, lazy, attitude while being paid to do their job. If you get paid no matter what happens, not a thing will change until they lose their job.
You can do like some of us. Have your billers to send bills via email and pay using your banks bill pay system. If I depended on the mail to get bills and payments on time to where they need to go I would be in arrears on everything lately. Even utility bill which use arrive on the 1st is now arriving after the due date of the 15th. Calling them to get on the email bill program this week as my neighbor gets his by email so I should be able to do the same.

Since it is a federal crime to interfere with the mail those dumping it needs to serve time for doing it but most they are relatives so they just get fired. Oh if in the mail system your letter might 50+ years to get delivered.

What once was a dependable service has gotten to be very unreliable. Just think all those live animals shipments where the animals have died because of their uncaring ways. Leaving them out in the sun to roast to death or in the cold to freeze to death is just not right.

Crusolympic

Forum Newbie
Threads
Many people are upset with the USPS and that is understandable. But, put the blame where it lies.

Below is a link that describes the top position in the Post Office. That position was filled during the LAST administration, not the current one. The President, who ever it is, has very little LEGAL control over the Board.

Most of the problems I have had with USPS deliveries and mysteriously long trips have been under this guys watch. A one man wrecking crew, in my opinion.

You might also look into why the USPS HAS to fund the workers retirement plan IN FULL, while no other Agency has that requirement. That alone contributes mightily to the financial problems at USPS.

Then in theory two 100 stamp rolls should not cost $116.00.

But it doesn't matter as I limit my mailings anyway that way the post office wont be losing on dealing with me nor do I waste money on useless advertising. I think I mail one letter in the last six months and that was to the IRS Monday.
Mailing a letter gor $0.59 cents 8th
Many people are upset with the USPS and that is understandable. But, put the blame where it lies.

Below is a link that describes the top position in the Post Office. That position was filled during the LAST administration, not the current one. The President, who ever it is, has very little LEGAL control over the Board.

Most of the problems I have had with USPS deliveries and mysteriously long trips have been under this guys watch. A one man wrecking crew, in my opinion.

You might also look into why the USPS HAS to fund the workers retirement plan IN FULL, while no other Agency has that requirement. That alone contributes mightily to the financial problems at USPS.

The comment regarding U.S.P.S. retirement is outdated. Postal Service employees just like any other federal employee are under the Federal Employee Retirement Service [FERS]. Effective JAN 1st 1987, any new employees hired goes under FERS. In FERS, all employees pay for their Thrift savings plan [401k] as well as their "pension" [obtain 1%/year for each year worked]
https://www.opm.gov/retirement-services/fers-information/
During 2020, it was reported that less than 4% of the total Federal Government workforce was still on CSRS [the old retirement system that paid for a pension like other coporations did in the 1940s til the early 1980's]. For postal service ees that would be less than 2% of the workforce at best.
And to dispell another rumor, THERE ARE NO DISCOUNTS FOR POSTAL EMPLOYEES. No discounted stamps, no discounted shipping charges, etc. Employees pay the full freight that customers pay.

LawnWizard

Threads
Every business gives larger customers a discount
I get 12% off the Stens normal wholesale price , I get 10% off my Allmowers orders etc etc
Down here if you buy mailers in 100 packs they are 1/2 the price of the single item, if you buy them in 1000 lots they are 1/3 the price.
Not only is this fairly standard retail / wholesale practice it also reflects the real costs .
Walk into a post office, stand in the que , hand over your letter watch them weight & scale it then ring up a 58¢ sale and the post office has lost $ 3 on the sale and that is before the letter has been processed & delivered.
Just like buying corn flakes, the single serve pack is 4times the price per serve than the 20 serve pack
The cost of ordering shipping displaying & selling them is almost the same .
It is the same story except the corn flakes are now the delivery of the letter.
Corn flakes have the manufacturing costs up front, delivery has the manufacturing cost post sale .
Ok, assuming everything you just said is true, can't they at least smile and say ""Thank You", or would that be adding additional services?

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Bert, I’m still alive and kicking. I’m living on liquid nourishment if you buy.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Ok, assuming everything you just said is true, can't they at least smile and say ""Thank You", or would that be adding additional services?
Forced smiles & faked courtsey like you suffer at McDonalds is worse than being grumbled at.
One of the places I contracted for decided we could not say happy christmass just in case the person we were with was Hindu, Jewish, Muselum etc etc and they encouraged customers to complain if we did & revoked the contracts of any offenders.
Same with words commonly used by Aussies like mate , pal, sport, cobber, stang , it had to be sir or maddam & nothing else.

Working face to face with Joe Public is a problem at the best of times & judging from the comments here they probably get a lot of stick from unhappy customers.
US wages are by & large very low , no idea how counter staff are paid by the USPS , but Aust Post pays minimum basic wages to counter staff & living on that is not easy .
Have you ever tipped the counter staff when they go above & beyond to help you ?