Unusual question - is it possible to raise the mower so the deck cuts higher?

sjo

Threads
  • / Unusual question - is it possible to raise the mower so the deck cuts higher?
I have a Husqvarna YTH18542, it has 6 height settings for the deck, I have it set to #5 since #6 is for maintenance. Anyone have any ideas on how i can raise the mower's height so I can increase the length of the lawn after its cut? Even setting #5 is too short for my liking.
Maybe put blocks between the axles and the body? Get bigger tires? I'd like 2 more inches of clearance.

thanks all.

Lawn Pro
Threads
  • / Unusual question - is it possible to raise the mower so the deck cuts higher?
To get 2 more inches of height, tires would have to be 4 inches taller overall.

sjo

Threads
Which means really really big tires.. Time to look for a lift kit ;)

ILENGINE

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
Also keep in mind is the belt alignment for the transmission

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Height 6 can be used for cutting .
The only problem is there is sod all extra space under the mower for the deck to rise when cresting hills.
At full height you should be cutting at around 4"- 5"
If you want 6" then you really need a very different mower, like a sickle mower or a reel mower because at that heigh the airflow under the deck will be al over the place

Tiger Small Engine

Threads
Height 6 can be used for cutting .
The only problem is there is sod all extra space under the mower for the deck to rise when cresting hills.
At full height you should be cutting at around 4"- 5"
If you want 6" then you really need a very different mower, like a sickle mower or a reel mower because at that heigh the airflow under the deck will be al over the place
Most riding mowers are set up too low from the factory. With all tires aired up to correct pressure, on level concrete, measure from blade to ground. On the highest setting you will usually find there is only 3” to 4”. There are normally one or two rear deck hangers that can be adjusted, and one in the front. I have been dealing with lack of height and leveling decks for years now, and have realized there is only so much that can be done. Bushings can be installed above the hanger nuts to get more height, but then at a point, the spindles begin to make contact with mower body. Actually a really good question and a problem the mower manufacturers should address.

MParr

Lawn Addict
Threads
What are you trying to cut? Brush? Unimproved land?
From my experience, the cutting height settings rarely match actual cutting height. It doesn’t matter where the mower was purchased. Residential mowers will have anywhere from two to four adjustment points. Two adjustment points are common on lower end residential mowers and three adjustment points are more common on higher end residential lawn tractors.
The best that you can do is to get the cutting height settings to match the actual cutting height as close as possible. After that, fitting taller tires is about all that you can do.
It sounds to me like you need a tractor and brush mower.

Last edited:

sjo

Threads
my land is old prairie land, so the grass is a mixture of prairie grass, clover, and moss. The grass grows extremely fast and gets to 3' tall when it goes to seed. Scalping it because the mower deck is too low makes it die off faster for summer. So thats why I am asking if its possible to do something. thanks for the ideas all.

Lawn Pro
Threads
From my experience, the cutting height settings rarely match actual cutting height.
Agree with that, My Toro & now My Liberty were both off the marked cut height setting.. But I fixed that & Even compensated for me on board. Yes I'm pretty anal about some stuff.. Otherwise it keeps me up at nights..