Unusual question - is it possible to raise the mower so the deck cuts higher?

Tiger Small Engine

Threads
  • / Unusual question - is it possible to raise the mower so the deck cuts higher?
my land is old prairie land, so the grass is a mixture of prairie grass, clover, and moss. The grass grows extremely fast and gets to 3' tall when it goes to seed. Scalping it because the mower deck is too low makes it die off faster for summer. So thats why I am asking if its possible to do something. thanks for the ideas all.
People cut grass too short, more often than not. I cut on 4” most of the year. Many people cut at 3” or less. It is not healthy to cut grass too short, and actually promotes weed growth.

Check the factory deck height on any variety of riding mowers, not so much zero turns, and you will find decks that are often unable to raise enough. The numbered settings on mowers are not exact inch measurements by the way as some people think.

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
  • / Unusual question - is it possible to raise the mower so the deck cuts higher?
There are design limits involved here. Mostly the best solution is to go to a commercial mower. Many of those do cut at higher levels and still able to get over humps without under carriage damage.

Besides many homeowners do use their yards for activities that taller grass would cause injuries plus items do get lost in taller grass that you hit later because they are unseen until it is too late.

Plus cutting heights really depends on the type grass you have too. Here I have a mix of grasses. some is so fine that cutting at a higher just makes a mess of it. But lately I have been letting the lawn to overgrow to crowd out the crab grasses and to give the tall fescue a chance to take over. The other day I cut with a JD Z425 on it highest setting and lawn looks like crap so it need another mowing at a lower level.

Just can't with the grass this year due rains and lack of time to mow due to repairs of others mowers.