Export thread

Unusual question - is it possible to raise the mower so the deck cuts higher?

S

sjo

I have a Husqvarna YTH18542, it has 6 height settings for the deck, I have it set to #5 since #6 is for maintenance. Anyone have any ideas on how i can raise the mower's height so I can increase the length of the lawn after its cut? Even setting #5 is too short for my liking.
Maybe put blocks between the axles and the body? Get bigger tires? I'd like 2 more inches of clearance.

thanks all.

To get 2 more inches of height, tires would have to be 4 inches taller overall.

S

sjo

Which means really really big tires.. Time to look for a lift kit ;)

I

ILENGINE

Also keep in mind is the belt alignment for the transmission

S

sjo

Also keep in mind is the belt alignment for the transmission
Thx for the tip.

B

bertsmobile1

Height 6 can be used for cutting .
The only problem is there is sod all extra space under the mower for the deck to rise when cresting hills.
At full height you should be cutting at around 4"- 5"
If you want 6" then you really need a very different mower, like a sickle mower or a reel mower because at that heigh the airflow under the deck will be al over the place

Tiger Small Engine

Tiger Small Engine

Height 6 can be used for cutting .
The only problem is there is sod all extra space under the mower for the deck to rise when cresting hills.
At full height you should be cutting at around 4"- 5"
If you want 6" then you really need a very different mower, like a sickle mower or a reel mower because at that heigh the airflow under the deck will be al over the place
Most riding mowers are set up too low from the factory. With all tires aired up to correct pressure, on level concrete, measure from blade to ground. On the highest setting you will usually find there is only 3” to 4”. There are normally one or two rear deck hangers that can be adjusted, and one in the front. I have been dealing with lack of height and leveling decks for years now, and have realized there is only so much that can be done. Bushings can be installed above the hanger nuts to get more height, but then at a point, the spindles begin to make contact with mower body. Actually a really good question and a problem the mower manufacturers should address.

M

MParr

What are you trying to cut? Brush? Unimproved land?
From my experience, the cutting height settings rarely match actual cutting height. It doesn’t matter where the mower was purchased. Residential mowers will have anywhere from two to four adjustment points. Two adjustment points are common on lower end residential mowers and three adjustment points are more common on higher end residential lawn tractors.
The best that you can do is to get the cutting height settings to match the actual cutting height as close as possible. After that, fitting taller tires is about all that you can do.
It sounds to me like you need a tractor and brush mower.

S

sjo

my land is old prairie land, so the grass is a mixture of prairie grass, clover, and moss. The grass grows extremely fast and gets to 3' tall when it goes to seed. Scalping it because the mower deck is too low makes it die off faster for summer. So thats why I am asking if its possible to do something. thanks for the ideas all.

From my experience, the cutting height settings rarely match actual cutting height.
Agree with that, My Toro & now My Liberty were both off the marked cut height setting.. But I fixed that & Even compensated for me on board. Yes I'm pretty anal about some stuff.. Otherwise it keeps me up at nights..

Tiger Small Engine

Tiger Small Engine

my land is old prairie land, so the grass is a mixture of prairie grass, clover, and moss. The grass grows extremely fast and gets to 3' tall when it goes to seed. Scalping it because the mower deck is too low makes it die off faster for summer. So thats why I am asking if its possible to do something. thanks for the ideas all.
People cut grass too short, more often than not. I cut on 4” most of the year. Many people cut at 3” or less. It is not healthy to cut grass too short, and actually promotes weed growth.

Check the factory deck height on any variety of riding mowers, not so much zero turns, and you will find decks that are often unable to raise enough. The numbered settings on mowers are not exact inch measurements by the way as some people think.

StarTech

StarTech

There are design limits involved here. Mostly the best solution is to go to a commercial mower. Many of those do cut at higher levels and still able to get over humps without under carriage damage.

Besides many homeowners do use their yards for activities that taller grass would cause injuries plus items do get lost in taller grass that you hit later because they are unseen until it is too late.

Plus cutting heights really depends on the type grass you have too. Here I have a mix of grasses. some is so fine that cutting at a higher just makes a mess of it. But lately I have been letting the lawn to overgrow to crowd out the crab grasses and to give the tall fescue a chance to take over. The other day I cut with a JD Z425 on it highest setting and lawn looks like crap so it need another mowing at a lower level.

Just can't with the grass this year due rains and lack of time to mow due to repairs of others mowers.