Underground Dog fences

Snoother

Forum Newbie
Threads
Many dog owners who are eager to keep their lawn undamaged by dogs and dog spots are interested in underground dog fencing which has got many advantages when compared with other methods. The first important reason why people are getting attracted towards this is the fact that this fence being underground is invisible and will not interfere with your landscape structure. Also, this is an effective way to keep dogs away. During many a property inspection Sydney property inspectors have encouraged this as the best method to build a dog free landscape model. The underground dog fence is having a boundary wire that goes around your property and that emits a radio signal. A special collar is there for your dog to wear so that it picks up these radio signals. If the dog gets too close to the property border, this collar emits a warning beep. If the dog continues to approach the property border even after the signal is heard, it receives a static correction. Your dog needs a bit of training to stay within the boundary.

And there is also another advantage of this fence that you need not always make it underground. If you cannot dig the place to put the wire under ground, you could use lawn staples and secure the wire to the ground. Also, you need not have to worry about the wire since it is pretty robust and can endure a bit of light traffic. However you could save your boundary wire from lawn mowers if you bury it. It also hides the wire away from sight. Anyway burial is not necessary to create this protective system.

rekees

Threads
These "fences" are expensive and they don't keep other dogs out or prevent lawn damage.

AndyMan

Threads
We had one as a kid. Our dog would chase squirrels, going fast enough to get out of the yard. She was then "stuck" outside the yard and couldn't get back in.:laughing:

Also, something about our pickup truck would activate the collar. We had to remember to take off her collar when she was in the truck or it would signal her and she would freak out.

KennyV

Lawn Pro
Threads
this is an effective way to keep dogs away.

Hello Snoother from Maryland...
Welcome to a fun forum.

The biggest draw backs of this type fence have already been covered *...
*They do nothing for keeping anything OUT of your area...
*They can trap your pet outside the perimeter...
*They can be triggered by other interference...
The system is power dependent...
The collar is battery dependent...

Any ONE of the above is a good reason to NOT consider such a "barrier", but these have all going against them... :smile:KennyV

mois25

Threads
There seem to be many loopholes and attached cost to these underground fences, especially going by the last post. Which then is the most viable substitute if this option is not workable?

monica123

Threads
I wondered about these as my parents have an issue with their youngest dog running all the time, does anyone know any other way to teach a dog boundaries?

BKBrown

Lawn Addict
Threads
I wondered about these as my parents have an issue with their youngest dog running all the time, does anyone know any other way to teach a dog boundaries?

I know what worked with my Chocolate Lab, but she is SMART and I was here all the time to keep at it while she was young.

I walked her around the property line with a leash and kept showing her yes and no. Now she can even be chasing a deer and will stop at the property line and come back.

If they don't have time or the dog isn't cooperative that won't work.

There is a product similar to the underground fence, but instead of buried wires there is a radio transmitter in the house - when the dog gets too far from the transmitter (you can set the range) the collar first warns and then delivers a shock if the dog goes farther - this continues to deliver shocks until the dog is back in range.

If you do an internet search for pet control or dog control you should find it.

mois25

Threads
I have seen the first post in practice. We had such a dog that would charge at strangers for as long as they were within range. However, this requires patience and diligence on the part of the trainer if you own more than one of these.