Trying to revive an old 1987 Craftsman riding mower

jparrish123

Forum Newbie
Threads
I have an older Craftsman Riding Mower that My Dad had sitting out in the weather for about 10 years. It is a small 25 inch cut 6 HP Murray Motor. I have just basic knowledge of small motors...maybe not even basic. But I am a fast leaner and love to figure out how things work. So my question is I took a picture of the engine that is currently on it. The flywheel is stuck (maybe from rust) The engine has a good bit of gunk all over it. I would love to get this thing running again. I haven't taken it off the body of the lawnmower yet. I just need some advice on this one as far as what steps I need to take to get her running again or if it is even worth the trouble. The Model # is: 502 81370 if that helps. Thanks for your time and help!

Attachments

• photo 1.JPG
    photo 1.JPG
    148 KB · Views: 12
  • photo 2.JPG
    photo 2.JPG
    144.7 KB · Views: 7
  • photo 3.JPG
    photo 3.JPG
    144.4 KB · Views: 8

KennyV

Lawn Pro
Threads
Lots of rust ... lots of scale... BUT hey, you have to start some where...
Open it up and look at the crank , main & rod bearings... check the cam lobes, none have to be perfect. But if all you gain from this mower is experience, you still come out ahead... :smile:KennyV

jparrish123

Forum Newbie
Threads
Thanks for the advice... I'm gonna start on it Tuesday

KennyV

Lawn Pro
Threads
Post back with your progress and include pictures... everyone will enjoy following this... :smile:KennyV