Export thread

Trying to revive an old 1987 Craftsman riding mower

J

jparrish123

I have an older Craftsman Riding Mower that My Dad had sitting out in the weather for about 10 years. It is a small 25 inch cut 6 HP Murray Motor. I have just basic knowledge of small motors...maybe not even basic. But I am a fast leaner and love to figure out how things work. So my question is I took a picture of the engine that is currently on it. The flywheel is stuck (maybe from rust) The engine has a good bit of gunk all over it. I would love to get this thing running again. I haven't taken it off the body of the lawnmower yet. I just need some advice on this one as far as what steps I need to take to get her running again or if it is even worth the trouble. The Model # is: 502 81370 if that helps. Thanks for your time and help!

Attachments

K

KennyV

Lots of rust ... lots of scale... BUT hey, you have to start some where...
Open it up and look at the crank , main & rod bearings... check the cam lobes, none have to be perfect. But if all you gain from this mower is experience, you still come out ahead... :smile:KennyV

J

jparrish123

Thanks for the advice... I'm gonna start on it Tuesday

K

KennyV

Post back with your progress and include pictures... everyone will enjoy following this... :smile:KennyV

J

jparrish123

Sure thing, we'll do