Troy Built XP Kohler Engine - Knock When Starting and Turning Off

opeepingtomo

Threads
  • / Troy Built XP Kohler Engine - Knock When Starting and Turning Off
If i tried to describe this I would probably do a horrible job of it.

For those that don't remember me from my first thread, I am not the most mechanically savvy person.

Anyways, here is a link to a video I took so you can see. This is from a cold start for the first time its been turned on that day and me then turning it off so you can hear/see the knock/shake that it is doing now. The video is about a minute long because I did drive it up to my porch between the time that i turned it on and turn it off. Also with the volume up, you can hear what I am talking about pretty good near the end of the video.

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/420374/Video%20Oct%2011%2C%2015%2014%2019.mov

(sorry i know file is kind of big (163MB), i would probably right-click, save-as)

Any ideas what would be causing this?
Also if another video with me being farther away or to the side would be better, let me know.

Also here is my thread with the original issue i was having not too long ago.
http://www.lawnmowerforum.com/small-engine-mower-repair/19017-riding-mower-one-blade-harder-turn-feels-weak-when-actually-mowing-grass.html

Thanks again!

Last edited:

opeepingtomo

Threads
Not trying to bump my thread, i just noticed there have been quite a few views without any replies.

If it's the video being too big for anyone to want to bother looking at, please let me know and I will see about re-uploading in a different format (or to youtube or something) so that it will be easier to view/download/stream. Reason I kept the file in its original form was to keep the sound and picture in its best quality in case someone watched/listened to it.

If that is not the case then please just ignore this post.

Thanks again!

Fish

Lawn Pro
Threads
I could not get it to load.

Sounds like your engine mounting bolts may just be loose though.

possum

Threads
No one replies much because the video does not work.

Carscw

Lawn Pro
Threads
I was able to watch it on my phone. By the way it started looks like your valves need to be adjusted.
I have the same engine on my cub and the knocking and slaking at shut off was loose engine to frame bolts. Just snug them up don't try and go to tight as you will strip the threads out.

Good thinking opening the hood so we could see the engine.

opeepingtomo

Threads
Okay. I will check it tomorrow.

I already got the deck off so I could get a better look. If i can't figure it out I will upload a new video that is smaller in size and a littler shorter.

Thanks.

opeepingtomo

Threads
I honestly cannot believe this, but ONE of the bolts was able to tighten maybe like a quarter inch and I think that fixed it. The rest were already fully tightened. Heck even this one was tight but I think that one little turn may have fixed it, even though i do not see how that small of a turn could make a difference.

Its about to rain here, so I am gonna fill her up with gas later this week and will report back on how it goes.

Thanks again!

Carscw

Lawn Pro
Threads
It only takes one bolt to not be snug.
I found all of mine loose and I go over everything on my mowers once a month.

opeepingtomo

Threads
Okay. Deck is still off, replaced spark plug, put some fresh fuel in it, made sure air filter was clean (its pretty new), and used some carb cleaner to clean it up a bit (carb itself was pretty clean just cleaned up around it a bit.

Seems to be running a lot better after all of this. Definitely starts quicker and still no knock/shake at starting or killing the engine.

Only thing left seems to be getting the motor to run "smoother". It seems like its running or "breathing" not smoothly. Even with the air filter taken off the side it does the same thing.

I can take another video if that will help. Just seems like: vrmmmmmvrmmmvrmmmmvrmmmvrmmmm when idle if that makes sense.

Any suggestions?

And thanks so much for all of the help.

Carscw

Lawn Pro
Threads
Does it run fine at full RPMs ?
Put the deck back on and see if it runs better with the pto engaged