Troy built TB110 with Briggs engine surging and running rough

CrusinSusan

Threads
  • / Troy built TB110 with Briggs engine surging and running rough
Hi guys, so have a Troy built tb110 with Briggs engine. Has one of those plastic carbs, would start then immediately die. Checked out YouTube and found a video from Steve’s saloon where he used some micro bits and made the hole tiny bit bigger in the white piece. Put everything back together and it started up first pull! Only problem is it idles right before it would normally die. It stays on, just very very low idle right above dying, I took the air filter off and the butterfly is surging open and closed quite rapidly. I also see a fine mist of gas but nothing crazy. If I stick my finger in the hole and hold the butterfly open it doesn’t run perfect idle (prolly cause my fat finger in there lol) but it sounds very much better. Did I make the hole to big? Getting to much fuel vs air? It starts every time now first pull just sounds very very sick lol. Any help is appreciated as always, thank you guys!

sgkent

Lawn Addict
Threads
sounds like time for a new carb now. Without more details like an engine model number, serial number it is impossible to answer anything for someone. There are many different "plastic" style carbs, and other issues that befall them.

CrusinSusan

Threads
The carb model is 799584 and is on a Briggs and Stratton engine 09P702-0144-F1. I guess what I’m asking is if I made the hole to big is the problems I described the result of that? Or did I solve one problem beings now it starts and stay running and now I’m just at a second problem?

sgkent

Lawn Addict
Threads
holes in carbs typically meter either air flow or fuel flow. Enlarging them, or even cleaning them with a metal object usually affects the air to fuel ratio. Affect that and the engine may not run well. I am not a fan of changing fuel metering in engines unless the jets are swappable sizes. If a special drill bit / jet reamer size is involved it may improve things if the size is known, but there is no going back if it makes things worse unless it is a swappable jet, e.g., one that unscrews. Some engine carbs have metering screws that can be turned to adjust air to fuel mixture at low speed, high speed, or both. Other carbs are fixed so tampering with them changes the mixture the factory set for optimal running. Some engines run a bit lean due to EPA emission standards. If the air cleaner is dirty, or any seals leak that can also affect things. I have a pressure washer I had to flat sand the fuel tank to get a perfect seal on the carb to tank for it to run right.

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
Another YouTube victim....You don't mess with the jets unless you know what you are doing.

Replace the jet assy based on your datecode.

592792 JET, Main -(Standard)
-Used Before Code Date 18070100

84002108 JET, Main -(Standard)
-Used After Code Date 18063000

CrusinSusan

Threads
Another YouTube victim....You don't mess with the jets unless you know what you are doing.

Replace the jet assy based on your datecode.

592792 JET, Main -(Standard)
-Used Before Code Date 18070100

84002108 JET, Main -(Standard)
-Used After Code Date 18063000
I looked everywhere for a code date on the mower and on the frame everywhere and couldn’t find one. Any other way to tell? No numbers anywhere that are even close. I’m ok with learning , YouTube is a great resource. You win some and you lose some but that’s how I learn. Still looking for the answer of what I’m explaining is or isn’t the reason for the butterfly to be spasing out.

CrusinSusan

Threads
holes in carbs typically meter either air flow or fuel flow. Enlarging them, or even cleaning them with a metal object usually affects the air to fuel ratio. Affect that and the engine may not run well. I am not a fan of changing fuel metering in engines unless the jets are swappable sizes. If a special drill bit / jet reamer size is involved it may improve things if the size is known, but there is no going back if it makes things worse unless it is a swappable jet, e.g., one that unscrews. Some engine carbs have metering screws that can be turned to adjust air to fuel mixture at low speed, high speed, or both. Other carbs are fixed so tampering with them changes the mixture the factory set for optimal running. Some engines run a bit lean due to EPA emission standards. If the air cleaner is dirty, or any seals leak that can also affect things. I have a pressure washer I had to flat sand the fuel tank to get a perfect seal on the carb to tank for it to run right.
I didn’t see any adjustment options. Looks like I can just get the jet part online instead of the carb. Air filter is brand new, clean fresh gas. Ty I’ll start over with the jet piece.

sgkent

Lawn Addict
Threads
Found it on the curb

that explains a lot. Someone else got tired of screwing with it.