Troy Bilt Self Propelled Lawn Mower Issue

stemo99

Forum Newbie
Threads
I had a Troy front propelled mower with the same problem. The wheel drive shaft is held by bronze bearings that wear out and allow the drive shaft to move and not engage with the wheel gear teeth. Raise the front off the ground and if you can wiggle the wheel up, down front or back at all the shaft bearing is worn out. I have since converted my Troy to a push mower.

eddie57

Threads
I had a Troy front propelled mower with the same problem. The wheel drive shaft is held by bronze bearings that wear out and allow the drive shaft to move and not engage with the wheel gear teeth. Raise the front off the ground and if you can wiggle the wheel up, down front or back at all the shaft bearing is worn out. I have since converted my Troy to a push mower.
Is the shaft bearing you are referring to the picture I posted on this thread earlier? (reply #5 on page 1)

stemo99

Forum Newbie
Threads
My bearings were bronze that mounted into the actual deck. They were severe egg shaped and to replace the entire shaft wouldn’t be cost effective. I removed all the drive stuff and now it’s a push mower. good luck.

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
TroyBilt part number is 641-00014 when I look up your unit. To me it looks just like the one posted.

eddie57

Threads
TroyBilt part number is 641-00014 when I look up your unit. To me it looks just like the one posted.
Thanks. Part isn't expensive. I am going to order two of those plus the two spur gears. Total cost around $30. If it doesn't work I will convert it to a push mower.

eddie57

Threads
I replaced both bearings and the spur gears and it seems to have improved the performance. I have only used the mower once so time will tell. Thanks