Troy Bilt Self Propelled Lawn Mower Issue

eddie57

Threads
Hi, I have a Troy-Bilt Walk Behind Lawn mower that is self-propelled, front wheel drive. Recently the right front wheel doens't seem to be self-propelling. If I lift the front end up it will spin but when it's on the ground doesn't. Does anyone know what the problem might be? Thanks

Model No: 12AEA29L011
Model: TB270 ES

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Two things will cause this problem. First would be a worn drive belt. If it is three plus years old, time to replace. Second would be a a worn drive gear on the right drive wheel. Again it may be time to replace.

eddie57

Threads
Two things will cause this problem. First would be a worn drive belt. If it is three plus years old, time to replace. Second would be a a worn drive gear on the right drive wheel. Again it may be time to replace.
The belt is in good shape. The left wheel propels great. I took off the spur gear yesterday and it looks okay. I'll post a picture later to get your opinion. Thank you for replying.

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
Then it probably the bearing assembly binding up on the axle.

eddie57

Threads

Attachments

• Assembly Part.jpg
    Assembly Part.jpg
    7.4 KB · Views: 12

eddie57

Threads
Attached are a picture of the Spur Gears from my Lawn Mower. I also included a picture of a new spur gear. I think the gears from my mower look fine. Any comments are appreciated. Thanks.

Attachments

• Spur Gear my Lawn Mower.jpg
    Spur Gear my Lawn Mower.jpg
    50.7 KB · Views: 10
  • New TB Spur Gear Pic RH.jpg
    New TB Spur Gear Pic RH.jpg
    14.3 KB · Views: 10

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
The used gear on the left is definitely worn. Check the axle for play, it should not move up/down or side to side. If it does, it may be the bearing Star posted and you have pictured.

eddie57

Threads
Thank you. I will look into it.

eddie57

Threads
The used gear on the left is definitely worn. Check the axle for play, it should not move up/down or side to side. If it does, it may be the bearing Star posted and you have pictured.
In regards to the drive shaft bearing, if it is worn, is that the reason the front right wheel isn't turning when the self-propelled lever is depressed? Thanks

Attachments

• Assembly Part.jpg
    Assembly Part.jpg
    2.7 KB · Views: 1

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
A worn bearing will allow the axle to move, not allowing the gears to mesh properly.