Troy-Bilt Pony tiller replacement engine

Wylie99

Forum Newbie
Threads
I just inherited an old TB Pony rear tine tiller, and the engine is shot, cylinder deeply scored by carbon residue. I am considering replacing it with an Ironton 206cc engine from Northern Tools. Anybody have experience with these inexpensive engines?

reynoldston

Lawn Pro
Threads
I have found that on some of the Troy-Bilt's the reverse feature runs off the camshaft. You might lost your reverse.

Wylie99

Forum Newbie
Threads
Yes, the reverse is on a PTO, and the cheap replacement lacks that PTO. I don't mind losing the reverse, just wondering in the engine is any good.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
By law the engine must work and out put the amount of power it clains to.
By law the importers must be able to supply parts for a specified amount of time post sale.
The support period varies depending upon the juristricion.

Support costs a lot of money.
Quality control costs a lot of money

Nearly all of the cheap batched engines from China have neither and the importer simply holds a few engines back to cover warrantee replacement then it is tough luck if it fails in 3 years time.

You may get an excellent one that will give you 20 years of faithful service, You may also win the lottery, how lucky do you feel ?

reynoldston

Lawn Pro
Threads
I believe the Troy Built pony was their cheaper tiller and the Troy Built Horse was the heavy duty tiller. The pony they installed a cheaper throw away Briggs engine and the Horse they installed the Kohler Magnum. You got what you paid for. The Ironton 208cc is comparable to the Briggs that came with the Troy Built Pony tiller when it was new. I have found the average home owner doesn't put a lot of hours on garden tiller in a years time so I see nothing wrong with the Ironton.

amcdv

Forum Newbie
Threads
pm sent....amcdv