Troy-Bilt 14AA80TP766 Big Red Horse (2007) with a Briggs Intek VTwin 23HP---Problem

srwa

Threads
  • / Troy-Bilt 14AA80TP766 Big Red Horse (2007) with a Briggs Intek VTwin 23HP---Problem
Inherited" a Troy-Bilt 14AA80TP766 Bie (2007)g Red Hors with a Briggs Intek VTwin 23HP engine. Ran when I got it but not good. Pulled plugs & checked compression; 120 on # 1 cyl. 0 on # 2 cyl. Pulled engine and tore down. Head on exhaust valve #2 cyl. "warped...about 3/32 in. gap when seated. Replaced valve; 120 #s on #1 cyl. and 165#s on #2 cyl., which I thought was a "little high". Checked several more times....same results.

Also, with the engine was apart replaced complete governor control, everything else looked good enough not to replace. Re gask engine and put back together. Did not take the carb. apart.

With the plugs out cranked the engine, noticed a mist of fuel coming out of #2 cyl. Removed head, small amount of fuel in cyl. dried out, reinstalled head. Cranked engine, no mist. Cranked engine several more times, everything looked good. Reinstalled plugs and cranked engine. Tried to start couple times but didn't so left it overnight. Next morning noticed something leaking under engine. Thought it was oil, pulled dipstick....way over full. Wasn't oil, it was fuel. Checked fuel tank which was about 1/2 full....now empty. Oil sump on engine full of fuel.

Have not had this kind of problem before.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
  • / Troy-Bilt 14AA80TP766 Big Red Horse (2007) with a Briggs Intek VTwin 23HP---Problem
Float valve in carb has failed, probably just dirty & needs a clean
Float bowl overflow is now INTERNAL so the first time you notice the carb is leaking the oil is ruined and needs to be replaced at least twice plus of course, often the entire tank has drained into the sump
Supposed to reduce pollution not really sure how that works .

srwa

Threads
Appreciate the post. Will take carb. apart.

First time with a throttle to gov. controlled engine(which I have a real problem with in my head) also with a "2 barrell",so to speak, carb.

Tiger Small Engine

Threads
Appreciate the post. Will take carb. apart.

First time with a throttle to gov. controlled engine(which I have a real problem with in my head) also with a "2 barrell",so to speak, carb.
Probably a Nikki two barrel carburetor. Nikki carburetors are known to leak at needle and seat. The mist coming out of spark plug hole is fuel (engine hydro locked). Follow what Bertsmobile said. I hate Nikki carbs.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Throttle sets the maximum allowable engine speed regardless of the amount the engine butterfly is open.
Governor makes sure it happes
So it is basically a tug_O_war between the throttle & the governor with the spring as the rope .

srwa

Threads
The "book' says the static governor setting must be preformed whenever the carb. is worked on or taken off engine ,or all H@#^ could break loose IE; come apart. Saw enough U TUBE to convince me.

srwa

Threads
No number on carb. except---A E Power. Cannot find anything remotely connected with Briggs's carbs.

So, going to buy new carb. complete with spacers, plugs, manifold to carb. gaskets, and fuel filter, ...$17+ tax. off Ebay with free shipping. Much better than rebuilding........in my extremely humble opinion.

Also, tried many times to attach pictures......... kept saying file to large for server. Would take a phone picture and it would be 3.3,sometimes+ MB.

Last edited:

mechanic mark

Lawn Pro
Threads
Click above then B&S Operators Manual page 7 bottom right, "Electronic Fuel Management System", page 8 no carburetor adjustment.
Post Model xxxxxx, Type xxxx, Trim xx, Code xxxxxxxx from engine sticker, plate, or stamped into engine. Let us know how it goes, thanks Mark
Use Multimeter Tool to test your System above

Last edited:

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Threads
People tends to hate things they don't understand. Nikki carburetors are not that bad; just misunderstood.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
I find them great
I buy the drop in kits in bulk from the factory in China for a couple of $ each then it is a 15 minute job and most of that time is the 10 minutes in the ultrasound .
Nothing on a mower engine is as good as it could be except for Honda engines which makes them cost more so no one uses them because the buyers are too cheap to pay for quality.
So being just barely good enough to do the job creates problems over time thus parts get a bad reputation when in reality the problem is in the purchasers wallet .