trouble with briggs

Born2Mow

Threads
From what I've seen, if you remove a head, turn the engine over with your hand, you will see a small dribble of oil at the bottom of the piston when you are reaching TDC. Course oil level is exactly on the full mark on flat ground. To me that represents dead piston rings. Course you could have out of round bores and so on too.
To a point, true.... but....
  • The level of the engine oil should never be up to the level of a horizontal cylinder bore or it would smoke continuously, even when new.
  • There are oil control rings and compression rings. Compression rings will easily pass oil, which is why the second type ring its there.
  • Oil control rings only control the oil spray present in the normal sump, but never liquid from an over-filled sump.
  • If there is standing oil in the combustion chamber, then the engine will be burning LOTS of oil. Not out the valve cover, but out of the exhaust pipe with tell-tale clouds of white smoke.
  • And consider that when COLD, if all 3 ring gaps aligned and the sump was over-filled...

Last edited:

Born2Mow

Threads
Joey -
Questions...
  • What is the age in years and hours run on this mower ?
  • How old is the fuel ? Is old fuel mixed with new fuel, or did you completely empty the fuel system over the winter ?
  • Have you checked the condition of the flywheel key ?
  • Is the top of the engine and the surrounding area carb linkage/ springs/ choke/ governor all cleaned and free of any grass clipping and crud that might be affecting the operation of the carb linkage ?
Just need this base-line info to get started.

slomo

Lawn Addict
Threads
To a point, true.... but....
  • The level of the engine oil should never be up to the level of a horizontal cylinder bore or it would smoke continuously, even when new. True, I didn't mention an excessive oil level.
  • There are oil control rings and compression rings. Compression rings will easily pass oil, which is why the second type ring its there. Wouldn't say easily on a good engine. Maybe a smoker.
  • Oil control rings only control the oil spray present in the normal sump, but never liquid from an over-filled sump. As in normal operation. Got it.
  • If there is standing oil in the combustion chamber, then the engine will be burning LOTS of oil. Not out the valve cover, but out of the exhaust pipe with tell-tale clouds of white smoke. Easily understood. Got it.
  • And consider that when COLD, if all 3 ring gaps aligned and the sump was over-filled... Imagine that scenario....
Thank you captain. Didn't know my rant needed a "but" for clarification. (y)

slomo

joe74

Threads
First question did yu use a flex or ridge hone? Did you mic the cylinder to see if it needed oversizing or if it was ovaled or tapered?
flex and now it still spraying gas out of the carb.

joe74

Threads
My cub still not running right. It spits gas out of carb and huffs and puff when deck is turned on.I have about two acres to mow and I'm diabled so my son is tring to mow with push mower and weed eater. I need your help. Thanks joey!

slomo

Lawn Addict
Threads
What up Joey,

I'm personally unfamiliar with your carb.

Is there an electrical fuel pump possibly over powering the carb needle and seat? Normally on a TOTALLY different application being a car engine, say a Holley carb on a cheby 350, a bad needle and seat, you can see fuel dumping into the intake manifold at idle. Bowl is full, fuel going any place it can which is inside the intake manifold.

Is it huffing black smoke when the blades are turned on? If so, this is another rich running condition caused by the above messy paragraph. (bad needle and seat)

Make a video and post it up here. That would help a lot.

slomo

joe74

Threads
What up Joey,

I'm personally unfamiliar with your carb.

Is there an electrical fuel pump possibly over powering the carb needle and seat? Normally on a TOTALLY different application being a car engine, say a Holley carb on a cheby 350, a bad needle and seat, you can see fuel dumping into the intake manifold at idle. Bowl is full, fuel going any place it can which is inside the intake manifold.

Is it huffing black smoke when the blades are turned on? If so, this is another rich running condition caused by the above messy paragraph. (bad needle and seat)

Make a video and post it up here. That would help a lot.

slomo
It seems the right plug is not firing right. Took engine off tractor and seen a wire was off the right coil . this wire seem like it should go to kill switch but the other end go to left coil. Pulled right spark plug engine never changed swaped plugs and it ran the same.Is this my problem ? Thanks joey!

Last edited:

joe74

Threads
Joey -
Questions...
  • What is the age in years and hours run on this mower ?
  • How old is the fuel ? Is old fuel mixed with new fuel, or did you completely empty the fuel system over the winter ?
  • Have you checked the condition of the flywheel key ?
  • Is the top of the engine and the surrounding area carb linkage/ springs/ choke/ governor all cleaned and free of any grass clipping and crud that might be affecting the operation of the carb linkage ?
Just need this base-line info to get started.
I don't know age . It was hardly used was gave to me by older gentalman. Hour meter doesn't work.all new fuel drained tank and cleaned carb engine pretty clean. Thanks joey!

slomo

Lawn Addict
Threads
It seems the right plug is not firing right. Took engine off tractor and seen a wire was off the right coil . this wire seem like it should go to kill switch but the other end go to left coil. Is this my problem ? Thanks joey!
Sounds like you have two ignition coils. There should be one small gauge kill wire going to each coil, in a Y fashion. If you GROUND that wire, it will short the coil to ground killing the ignition. Engine will stop shortly after.

So if you have a lose wire bouncing around, it could short one coil out causing a misfire like sound slash behavior.

Pictures will help a lot. Show us what you have there Joey.

slomo