trouble with briggs

joe74

Threads
My briggs model 303447 16hp twin cyclender was spraying oil around air cleaner or carb. I was told it was the rings so honed. the bores and put in new pistons and rings after it set all winter. It now spit and stuters and loses power and can't turn deck on. I cleaned the fuel pump and carb but didn't make a differance. what the heck is wrong with it? Thanks joey!

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
First question did yu use a flex or ridge hone? Did you mic the cylinder to see if it needed oversizing or if it was ovaled or tapered?

Last edited:

Born2Mow

Threads
I was told it was the rings so honed the bores and put in new pistons and rings after it set all winter.
And who gave you this sage advice? A neighbor, your mother-in-law, a guy you never saw before ??

What if I said it's most likely the breather hose that powers the fuel pump. A $2 / 10 minute repair ??

Last edited:

slomo

Lawn Addict
Threads
From what I've seen, if you remove a head, turn the engine over with your hand, you will see a small dribble of oil at the bottom of the piston when you are reaching TDC. Course oil level is exactly on the full mark on flat ground. To me that represents dead piston rings. Course you could have out of round bores and so on too.

slomo

joe74

Threads
From what I've seen, if you remove a head, turn the engine over with your hand, you will see a small dribble of oil at the bottom of the piston when you are reaching TDC. Course oil level is exactly on the full mark on flat ground. To me that represents dead piston rings. Course you could have out of round bores and so on too.

slomo
The same guy who checked the cyclender and said they was good, probably an idiot. Now that we know can you help me? I took the air cleaner off and it spraying gas out of the top carborator while running ..

Fish

Lawn Pro
Threads
Take off the valve covers and take a peek.