Trouble finding a good 10w40 full synthetic oil.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Would you know what a "good oil" was if you slipped on it on your garage floor.
If you do then you are a rare beast indeed because 99.999999% of people have less than no idea about lubrication .
It is a lawn mower
Every aftermarket parts company gets a mower blend made for them
Every oil company makes a mower blend
The best oil is the oil you just replaced and the more often you replace it the better it is
Mower engines are lazy, low power low output low reving engines and quite frankly any oil would be fine if changed at the end of each season.
I use stens 30 for everything other than Honda push mowers that get 10w 40 and 4 stroke hand helds that also get the house brand 10W40 mower blend from my wholesaler
Even now most stationary engines have no oil filter and the same applies for the bottom end ride ons
I am yet to see a mower engine suffering from excessive wear due to using a low spec oil
The only oil caused problems I regularly see is because there was none in there not because what was in there was not good enough .
Most of the mower companies are now specifing synthetic oil in exactly the same engines that ran standard oil 5 years ago for no reason other than to comply with emission regulations not because the engine will blow up if standard oil is used

sgkent

Lawn Addict
Threads
I must be an idiot. First thing I thought of is where this guy is depends what brands he can buy and where.

MParr

Lawn Addict
Threads
@Fastrak1972
This link is just a guide. It shows Kawasaki’s oil recommendations chart. The brand oil, whether it’s conventional, semi-synthetic, or full synthetic doesn’t really matter. What matters is that the oil is changed every 100 hours or at the end of the season. And, that the proper oil level is maintained. SAE30HD used to be the standard and is still a good choice. If you choose a SAE 30 HD, pick a designated small engine oil or SAE 30 Diesel engine oil. Air filtration is very important as well.
Kohler oils: https://resources.kohler.com/power/kohler/enginesUS/pdf/Oil_Sellsheet.pdf
Just a reminder; newer passenger car motor oil and heavy duty engine oil have been stripped of their zinc and phosphorus content. This was done to protect catalytic converters and Diesel particulate filters.

Last edited:

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
Currently I am using Mobile One 15W50 in all of the engines I service that have oil pumps. Or I use Kawasaki's 15W50. Both which have anti agents and are Full Synthetic oils.

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
"My oil is better than your oil"

Just saying.
Maybe but the semi synthetic with Moly that I used in my 2000 S1500 really increased the oil pressure as the moly heal the bearing wear. Now of course I have over 330,000 miles on the engine too.

shurguywutt

Threads
I only use purple oil cuz it looks cool and makes the rpms higher cuz it lubes better so my grass gets cut straighter. I can also go a decade between oil changes. Its $$$ but saves me alot in the end.

😆

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Way back when I occasionaly had to present technical papers I quickly learned that the less some one actually understands about something the more they argue about it
Oils and filters being the perfect example