Transaxle attachment points

CLStout

Threads
Thank you, sir. You've been a great help.

Gord Baker

Threads
If you have a nearby metal fab shop that does welding, speak to the owner and see if he can do a small custom job.
Grind all paint off near the crack Drill a 1/8" hole at the end of the crack and V groove crack slightly. Have them weld both sides and grind the bottom side flush.

CLStout

Threads
Ya know, it's kinda embarrassing to admit, but have a welder. I've never taken the time to learn how to use it, and this would be the perfect time to use it. I've already ordered the kit that Husqvarna offers. I need to get some scrap metal and tinker around with the welder, though.

CLStout

Threads
By the way, is it a common occurrence for the self tapping screws to fall out of the torque bracket on the front of the transaxle? From what I can see, the holes are stripped. Is there any way to repair something like this, or at least prevent it from happening again?

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
If it is a wire welder hopefully your supplier sold you the right kind of wire. I spent cussing my welder as my weld were horrible just to find out the welding shop that sold me the welder was selling me the wrong flux core wire. With the correct wire my welds are where they should be.

By the way, is it a common occurrence for the self tapping screws to fall out of the torque bracket on the front of the transaxle? From what I can see, the holes are stripped. Is there any way to repair something like this, or at least prevent it from happening again?
If I remember correctly you tap to a size large and use blue Loctite to secure the screws.

I think the problem is two fold. One was the use of self tappers and the use of poor grade of screws. I have seen both problems. One where the screw work loose and two where they simple snap off.

CLStout

Threads
Are the screws that are in the kit any better in quality?

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Yes
It is one of the things that good techs check when they service a mower
Your owners manual will simply say "check all fasteners" which really means nothing to most people
But torque straps & engine mounts always need checking because they do work loose.
A little BLUE loctite will usually stop bad ones that come loose regularly
However if you do that go up to grade 8 bolts because it is not uncommon to find the heads sheared off
The problem is in the actual frames that are too thin ( and getting thinner ) .
Most were designed when 10Hp was a big engine and 40" was a big deck
Well engines get more powerful every season & decks just get keep on growing + they bag or mulch.
All of this puts a lot of stress on the frame
The Husqvarna frame regularly cracks ( most don't notice them happening ) and in particular the deck hangers which I regularly weld & add patch plates to .
There is a good reason why real commercial quality mowers are 3 to 5 times the price of the domestic grade mowers .
As one of my fellow techs used to say when asked about what mowers to buy
"Do you want a mower that will last a life time & do the job properly or one that looks pretty in your garage ?"

CLStout

Threads
Yes
It is one of the things that good techs check when they service a mower
Your owners manual will simply say "check all fasteners" which really means nothing to most people
But torque straps & engine mounts always need checking because they do work loose.
A little BLUE loctite will usually stop bad ones that come loose regularly
However if you do that go up to grade 8 bolts because it is not uncommon to find the heads sheared off
The problem is in the actual frames that are too thin ( and getting thinner ) .
Most were designed when 10Hp was a big engine and 40" was a big deck
Well engines get more powerful every season & decks just get keep on growing + they bag or mulch.
All of this puts a lot of stress on the frame
The Husqvarna frame regularly cracks ( most don't notice them happening ) and in particular the deck hangers which I regularly weld & add patch plates to .
There is a good reason why real commercial quality mowers are 3 to 5 times the price of the domestic grade mowers .
As one of my fellow techs used to say when asked about what mowers to buy
"Do you want a mower that will last a life time & do the job properly or one that looks pretty in your garage ?"
Are the self tapping screws that come in the kit grade 8? Or should I look for replacements locally?

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
I am on the other side of the planet so I have no idea

CLStout

Threads
Where are you if you don't mind me asking?