Mower deck Toro Z480 - When bagging air flow in front right of deck blows leaves out of the way.

VooDoo_Banjo

Threads
  • / Toro Z480 - When bagging air flow in front right of deck blows leaves out of the way.
Hi folks, first post here.

So its fall here in North Carolina and the leaves are coming down in droves. I have a Toro Timecutter z480 (07 model) with the bagger/vac unit. I have noticed this year (and years past but never really bothered to research it) that as I am mowing there is a torrent of air that is blowing out of the front right side of the deck. When this happens it blows all the leaves out of the way and onto the strip of grass I have already mowed. It's pissing me off.

I am not sure where to start troubleshooting this. Is there a deck adjustment I need to make? I have checked under the deck and there is no clogging, the vac is clear and I even have new blades on there. This is driving me nuts. Any help/advice would be appreciated.

-Voo

Carscw

Lawn Pro
Threads
  • / Toro Z480 - When bagging air flow in front right of deck blows leaves out of the way.
Hi folks, first post here. So its fall here in North Carolina and the leaves are coming down in droves. I have a Toro Timecutter z480 (07 model) with the bagger/vac unit. I have noticed this year (and years past but never really bothered to research it) that as I am mowing there is a torrent of air that is blowing out of the front right side of the deck. When this happens it blows all the leaves out of the way and onto the strip of grass I have already mowed. It's pissing me off. I am not sure where to start troubleshooting this. Is there a deck adjustment I need to make? I have checked under the deck and there is no clogging, the vac is clear and I even have new blades on there. This is driving me nuts. Any help/advice would be appreciated. -Voo

I have this same mower but a 2006.

First thing is set the deck a little bit lower in the front. There are 2 rods with nuts on them sticking out the front of the mower.

Back them off 2 or 3 turns.

Mow with the chute towards what you have not cut.

Is there a gap around the chute?

VooDoo_Banjo

Threads
I am glad to see someone else with this mower. It has been hard to find a community that is all about lawn mowers, let alone the timecutters. I fortunately came across LawnWorld and I am very glad.

Ok, so loosen them up a couple or three turns?

There does not appear to be. My deck is currently set where the rear of the deck is higher than the front, kind of a slant forward. The deck levelers (or whatever they are called) on each side are set in the second hole from the right. Ill go do the deck adjustment now and see what that does.

Thanks so much for your response. It is greatly appreciated.

Carscw

Lawn Pro
Threads
I am glad to see someone else with this mower. It has been hard to find a community that is all about lawn mowers, let alone the timecutters. I fortunately came across LawnWorld and I am very glad. Ok, so loosen them up a couple or three turns? There does not appear to be. My deck is currently set where the rear of the deck is higher than the front, kind of a slant forward. The deck levelers (or whatever they are called) on each side are set in the second hole from the right. Ill go do the deck adjustment now and see what that does. Thanks so much for your response. It is greatly appreciated.

If the deck is already lower in the front try cutting one notch lower.

Carscw

Lawn Pro
Threads
This is where I have mine set for mulching leaves.

image-4181626592.jpg

VooDoo_Banjo

Threads
Carscw, sir you are THE MAN! So, I went to adjust the rods as you suggested (keep in mind I have never done this since owning the machine) and basically the nuts were not tight at all therefore not really supporting the deck at all. After figuring out the double nut system (I think I did) and with my trusty deck height leveler I was able to balance out the deck height. I had always done that with the rear settings, as you have shown in your attachment. With the rear settings, I have mine set one more to the right. I am going to go move mine to the last notch and see what that does.

When I got the rods set right I cranked her up and headed straight for a long patch of leaves. I can say that it is now not blowing out as much as it was, and almost back to acceptable levels. I am going to adjust the plates and see if that helps any more.

Thank you so much for your valuable information. It is good to know there are folks here willing to help folks in need. I will pass it forward and keep my eye on these forums and help out anyone that is in need that I can possibly help.

Thanks again!

-Voo

Carscw

Lawn Pro
Threads
Carscw, sir you are THE MAN! So, I went to adjust the rods as you suggested (keep in mind I have never done this since owning the machine) and basically the nuts were not tight at all therefore not really supporting the deck at all. After figuring out the double nut system (I think I did) and with my trusty deck height leveler I was able to balance out the deck height. I had always done that with the rear settings, as you have shown in your attachment. With the rear settings, I have mine set one more to the right. I am going to go move mine to the last notch and see what that does. When I got the rods set right I cranked her up and headed straight for a long patch of leaves. I can say that it is now not blowing out as much as it was, and almost back to acceptable levels. I am going to adjust the plates and see if that helps any more. Thank you so much for your valuable information. It is good to know there are folks here willing to help folks in need. I will pass it forward and keep my eye on these forums and help out anyone that is in need that I can possibly help. Thanks again! -Voo

Glad I could help.

Stick around this is a fun group.

I am sure someone will come around that you can help.