Toro Timemaster Won't Shut Off

WaltSm53

Forum Newbie
Threads
I have an electric start Timemaster, 4 years old. I keep it clean and had it services at the beginning of the mowing year (April).Yesterday after cutting the lawn, I turned the key to off but the mower won't shut down. I unplugged and reconnected the wiring harness from the switch, but same result. I also checked the fuse (looks OK). I have to pull the spark wire off, which is a little shocking. I had my local Toro dealer order a new ignition switch but I'm wondering if there are any other suggestions why the motor won't shut down when the key is turned to off. Thanks.

ken2

Threads
Not shutting of with the key. Is a sign the park brake interlock module is not working. It's the black box behind the seat under the cross brace. Toro did have the test procedure on their website if you look up your model and serial number.

WaltSm53

Forum Newbie
Threads
Let me clarify. I have an electric start Toro Timemaster walk behind self propelled mower, 30 inch width, which is 3 years old. The mower won't shut off when I turn the key to off. I replaced the ignition switch but the issue is not fixed. Right now I'm pulling off the ignition switch but I've already torn one spark plug boot. Any suggestions what might cause the mower not to shut off?

Thanks

ken2

Threads
I would remove the top cover and make sure the kill wire is still connected to the coil.

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
First thing I would be testing the key switch, not replacing it. What you are looking for is continuity between the G (ground) terminal and the M (magneto) terminal, with the key in the OFF position. Second thing I would check is continuity between the connector of coil kill and the key switch. If you have no continuity, you have a break somewhere in the wire.

insurroundsound

Forum Newbie
Threads
Let me clarify. I have an electric start Toro Timemaster walk behind self propelled mower, 30 inch width, which is 3 years old. The mower won't shut off when I turn the key to off. I replaced the ignition switch but the issue is not fixed. Right now I'm pulling off the ignition switch but I've already torn one spark plug boot. Any suggestions what might cause the mower not to shut off?

Thanks
Walt, can you share what your problem was and how you remedied? I'm having the exact issue with my 21200. I troubleshooted the switch using a multimeter and all seems good. Tested armature coil with multimeter, and it seems good, too. No breaks in the white wire running between the switch and coil either. The only thing I suspect is that there's some other point of contact to send to ground?

Anywho, was wondering how you resolved your issue.

schneid32

Forum Newbie
Threads
Same problem here. You guys ever figure out what the problem is?

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
The kill wire that turns the mower off simply grounds the coil
If it falls off at the coil end then the mower will not turn off
The terminal is hidden on the underside of the coil so is hard to see
They have been known to fall out or break off .