Toro Timemaster 30" shuts off after 20-25 mins

lightadjust2000

Forum Newbie
Threads
I'm having this same issue with a 6 year old timemaster, changed oil, new plug, new fuel filter, new blades, new air filter, new ignition coil, new gas cap. all parts have been oem. i even dropped the carb and cleaned the bowl (it was spotless anyway). the symptom ocurrs only when its above 80ish outside...seems i can prevent it by quickly letting go of all handles and letting it run idle for 30 seconds, only to start up again and 5 min later the issue happens much quicker and i cannot prevent it. if i try to restart, it wont even spit, almost like there is no spark, which is why i replaced the ignition coil. any more ideas?

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Check for debris in the tank. No debris you’ll have to figure if it is fuel or spark. Next time it happens and you can’t get it started, check for spark. Good spark, fuel problem and we’ll go from there.

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Forget the PET-4000 unless you are in the repair business. This tool is not worth of cost for a DIY guy.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Forget the PET-4000 unless you are in the repair business. This tool is not worth of cost for a DIY guy.
Well I don't have one
But I do have a B & S fixed 3 point tester that is 1/3 the price but I rarely use it either as coils can not be repaired .
So much easier just to pull the plug cap away till the engine stops
Any more than 1/2 " and the coil strength is fine
Used to be the old way of cleaning an oil soaked or carbon fouled plug on car engines
Back in the 20's through to the 50's when magneto motorcycles were the norm a common "fix" for a blown capacitor in a Lucas magneto was to cut the HT lead, solder a small brass button to both ends then slide them into a piece of hose leaving them 1/2" to 1/4" apart

Last edited:

lightadjust2000

Forum Newbie
Threads
Check for debris in the tank. No debris you’ll have to figure if it is fuel or spark. Next time it happens and you can’t get it started, check for spark. Good spark, fuel problem and we’ll go from there.
ok, no tank debris, when it died i used my spark tester and saw it lighting up, so i think im getting spark. it died even quicker this time, like 20 minutes into mowing rather than 30...its also very hot today but its the only time i can cut...so this definately seems heat related. of note, the spark plug boot was so hot i couldnt pull it off by hand, i had to use pliers...and once i had the tester on the plug for about 4 minutes, the tester boot heated up so much it was also too hot to pull off without pliers...so that plug must be crazy hot...ideas?

Last edited: