Toro Timemaster 30" shuts off after 20-25 mins

packrunner

Forum Newbie
Threads
I have Timemaster with Briggs & Stratton 10HP engine. It shut off after 20 mins or so like it has fun out of fuel. I thought it was ignition coil overheating. Replaced coil and still having same problem. Usually I just add more fuel and it cranks back up and I finishing mowing. Anyone have any ideas of what might be causing this? Any help or suggestions is much appreciated.

MParr

Lawn Addict
Threads
Trash in fuel tank.
Vapor lock.
Fuel filter.
Fuel tank cap.

packrunner

Forum Newbie
Threads
I checked the fuel cap. There is nothing to clean. Don't see what on the fuel cap could be causing this.

Scrubcadet10

Staff member
Threads
when it starts to run funny, loosen the gas cap and see if it starts to run better.. if the tank can not vent properly, Air can not get in, so gas can not go out.
most tanks are vented through the gas cap.

slomo

Lawn Addict
Threads
Ignition coil going bad.

Was this a real Briggs OEM coil or some Chi-sneeze low dollar special?

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
The instant it stops pull the fuel line off at the fuel pump and blow back through the line.
put it back and see if the engine fires right up
If it dose then the tank has trash in it as Mparr mentioned in the first reply

MParr

Lawn Addict
Threads
Drain and clean your carburetor bowl.

Paul V

Forum Newbie
Threads
This season I've been battling the same thing - stalling after mowing fine for some time, and difficult to restart. I noticed air in the fuel filter, causing rough idle and ultimately stalling altogether. Long story short, I will be draining the fuel and replacing with 0% ethanol fuel that I purchased at Home Depot in a can (no stations near me offer 0%). Research has informed me that ethanol is the enemy of small engines. Ethanol blended fuels also have a higher vapor pressure, meaning that it will vaporize more easily, such as on a hot day, causing vapor lock. Making matters worse, I bought higher octane gas in the spring, thinking it would only be better, but no - they use even more ethanol to raise the octane, perhaps leading to my vapor lock issue. Using old blended gas could also lead to vapor lock issues since the ethanol separates out. I tried all other suspects, such as gas cap, spark plug, magneto, checking for clogged fuel line, flywheel key (timing), valve clearances, cleaning carburetor. I've gotten to know my Timemaster very well, but I'm hoping I finally found the cause to be as simple as bad fuel. Will come back with what I find.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
In most places e-10 is fine during the season while you are mowing at least once a fortnight.
Problems only come when it is left standing for a considerable time
So run pump fuel through till autum then run you last couple of tanks for the season of expensive canned fuel ( if you must ) then make sure the tank is either totally empty or totally full when you bed it down for winter

slomo

Lawn Addict
Threads
Usually I just add more fuel and it cranks back up and I finishing mowing.
Which could/would dislodge any grass and dirt in the tank allowing fuel to make it to the carb.

Drop the fuel tank and carb bowl. Clean and or replace everything. Make sure the tank is spotless down in the bottom. If you need reading glasses to see in there like me, use them.