Toro Timecutter SS4235 blades won't engage

Carscw

Lawn Pro
Threads
Thanks for the link. I tried your test of turning the key on and pulling the pto switch and I could not hear the clutch try to engage. Does this mean bad switch? I checked voltage where the wires hook to the clutch and they seem to be putting out proper voltage when the pto switch is engaged or disengaged.

I would think if your getting power to the clutch when you pull out the switch then the switch is good. I am thinking the clutch has gone out.

There are a few guys on here that know more about how the clutch works. I would wait and see what they have to say.
So my best advice is let's see what others have to say.

wrdabney

Threads
I would think if your getting power to the clutch when you pull out the switch then the switch is good. I am thinking the clutch has gone out.

There are a few guys on here that know more about how the clutch works. I would wait and see what they have to say.
So my best advice is let's see what others have to say.

Thanks Carscw. Hopefully, someone will chime in.

briggs

Threads
Thanks Carscw. Hopefully, someone will chime in.

what i would do is remove the belt unplug the clutch Make 2 hot wires and plug them into the clutch and test it with a 12v battery....If clutch is bad replace ...I ran in to this and thought it was the clutch so i changed it but i didnt test it ether new clutch did the same mine ended up being the switch it would work when cold but went it heated up a little it would cut the clutch off ...I changed the switch and it works perfect now

wrdabney

Threads
what i would do is remove the belt unplug the clutch Make 2 hot wires and plug them into the clutch and test it with a 12v battery....If clutch is bad replace ...I ran in to this and thought it was the clutch so i changed it but i didnt test it ether new clutch did the same mine ended up being the switch it would work when cold but went it heated up a little it would cut the clutch off ...I changed the switch and it works perfect now

Thanks Briggs. I'll give that a shot. I would much rather replace a $40 switch than a $270 clutch.

briggs

Threads
Thanks Briggs. I'll give that a shot. I would much rather replace a $40 switch than a $270 clutch.

yes i do agree lol ....As i did that lol and ended up with a spare one

wrdabney

Threads
yes i do agree lol ....As i did that lol and ended up with a spare one

I guess I've ended up with a spare PTO switch. I replaced it and that didn't work. I ran wires from a 12v battery to the hook up on the clutch and it will click like it's trying to engage but does not turn. Should it turn if I run a hot wire straight to it or is it working right if it just clicks? Can these clutches be rebuilt or do you pretty much just have to buy a new one? Thanks.

briggs

Threads
I guess I've ended up with a spare PTO switch. I replaced it and that didn't work. I ran wires from a 12v battery to the hook up on the clutch and it will click like it's trying to engage but does not turn. Should it turn if I run a hot wire straight to it or is it working right if it just clicks? Can these clutches be rebuilt or do you pretty much just have to buy a new one? Thanks.

i just buy another try for a used one if u can some of those clutches are not cheap

wrdabney

Threads
So I'm still trying to hunt down this issue. It's very frustrating. I'm about ready to just take it to the local repair shop. I just put the new blade clutch on it and to my surprise and disappointment that was not the problem. So, I've replaced the switch and the clutch. What else is there?

Fish

Lawn Pro
Threads
I ran wires from a 12v battery to the hook up on the clutch and it will click like it's trying to engage but does not turn. Should it turn if I run a hot wire straight to it or is it working right if it just clicks?

Sounds like you have 2 good clutches now. The wiring going to electric pto switches is very complex, take a pic or two of the clutch, that mystery wire, and the tag with the model number so we can look at the wiring diagram

Fish

Lawn Pro
Threads
Or just give us the model number off of the tag for starters....