Toro Timecutter SS4235 blades won't engage

wrdabney

Threads
The blades on my Timecutter stopped engaging with the pto switch today. It happened once and I fooled with some wires and let it cool off and they came back on when I tried it again. Now, it happened again and I can't get them to engage at all after a couple of hours. I pulled out the multimeter and the pto switch is working properly and where the wiring harness connector hooks to the blade clutch is getting power when I engage the pto switch. Any ideas on what else I can check? I know the blades are tied in to the seat switch somehow but it seems to be working properly. One thing that confuses me is that there is a 2-wire female plug with a yellow and black wire just taped to the side of the harness going up to the seat switch. It is not hooked to anything. Any idea what the purpose of this is? I can get a pic tomorrow with some light if that would help. Thanks.

briggs

Threads
The blades on my Timecutter stopped engaging with the pto switch today. It happened once and I fooled with some wires and let it cool off and they came back on when I tried it again. Now, it happened again and I can't get them to engage at all after a couple of hours. I pulled out the multimeter and the pto switch is working properly and where the wiring harness connector hooks to the blade clutch is getting power when I engage the pto switch. Any ideas on what else I can check? I know the blades are tied in to the seat switch somehow but it seems to be working properly. One thing that confuses me is that there is a 2-wire female plug with a yellow and black wire just taped to the side of the harness going up to the seat switch. It is not hooked to anything. Any idea what the purpose of this is? I can get a pic tomorrow with some light if that would help. Thanks.

I had one that did the same thing it would work then i t would not ..It turned out to be the switch it was getting hot and stopping at first i thought it was the clutch its self ..I changed it but still did it test the clutch also

wrdabney

Threads
I had one that did the same thing it would work then i t would not ..It turned out to be the switch it was getting hot and stopping at first i thought it was the clutch its self ..I changed it but still did it test the clutch also

You're saying it ended up being the pto switch? How can I test the clutch?

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
I'll put my money on the switch. Replace it.

wrdabney

Threads

My owners manual does not give instructions for adjusting air gap at clutch. It says if blade clutch won't come on to contact a service center.

Carscw

Lawn Pro
Threads
First thing I would do is turn the key to run do not start the engine turn the pto on do you hear the clutch try to engage? If yes then adjust the clutch. If no then make sure the power wire and ground is ok and getting power to the clutch.

Last clutch problem I had it would shut off and on it was the voltage regulator not grounding to the engine.

wrdabney

Threads
Thanks so far guys. I did check the power wiring going to the clutch and it is getting power when I pull the pto switch. Any suggestions on where I can find instructions on adjusting the clutch?

wrdabney

Threads
Thanks for the link. I tried your test of turning the key on and pulling the pto switch and I could not hear the clutch try to engage. Does this mean bad switch? I checked voltage where the wires hook to the clutch and they seem to be putting out proper voltage when the pto switch is engaged or disengaged.