Toro Timecutter, dead cylinder

nanoGiant

Threads
I have a 2 year old Toro with a Toro Labeled Motor, I think it's Briggs, 24.5 HP, v twin. I had put some gas with water in it, and obviously quickly quit running. Once I figured out the problem and drained the gas out, and put new fresh gas in, the engine has one cylinder dead. The plug is very wet and not firing. Lots of blue smoke coming out of engine, I've swapped plugs, then coil, adjusted valves, removed the kill switch wires, problem persists in the same cylinder, I followed up with compression test, which was slightly over 100 for each cylinder. It runs with the bad cylinder plug wire off, but not with the good cylinder off. I've read some people have had similar problems and changed carburetor and it fixed it. I really can't see the carburetor being the problem, this doesn't have many hours on it. Any suggestions on what I might check?

sgkent

Lawn Addict
Threads
no model number, no serial hard to troubleshoot since I can't see it from here. If it has two carbs, drain the fuel from the one on the cylinder that isn't running. Pull the plug and blow some compressed air into that cylinder to dry it out if you have clean air from a compressor.

nanoGiant

Threads
IMG_3307.jpg
This is what it looks like, just one carb. Sorry looked in owners manual to find more info on motor, doesn't get any details on who made this motor. My guess is some of you will know this engine by looking at it.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
With a fresh plug in the bad cylinder an the kill wires off the coils spray a SHORT shot of carb cleaner down the plug hole & crank the engine
If the valves can close & the timing is good & the coil is good it should fire a couple of times .
If it does repeat with the kill wire connected

Let us know what happens

NB No need to put the blower housing back on for this

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
Model number off the mower would help and that engine is one built for Toro and is not a Briggs.

Last edited:

Lawn Addict
Threads
Your engine was made for Toro in Lonchin, china....They seem to be pretty good, I have read.

The water in the gas, I wonder if you hydro locked 1 cylinder.. The not running with plug off good cylinder indicates to me at least, the other cylinder is dead.

Lawn Addict
Threads
Don't you have 3 year warranty ?

nanoGiant

Threads
Your engine was made for Toro in Lonchin, china....They seem to be pretty good, I have read.

The water in the gas, I wonder if you hydro locked 1 cylinder.. The not running with plug off good cylinder indicates to me at least, the other cylinder is dead.
If it hydro locked would it still have good compression? You think like broke a ring or piston?