Toro Time Cutter SS4225 Wont Turn Over

txmowman

Threads
I think 7394's suggestion it the best. I would first make sure valve lash is not too loose. This would put unnecessary demand on the starter. Then, I would try a jumper cable in place of the B+ cable from the battery to the starter. OEM's these days use smaller battery cables that don't deliver the amperage necessary for the starter to work properly. Some OEM's offer a starter assist relay kit for similar issues. Good luck.

Fish

Lawn Pro
Threads
I second that you should look at all of the connections, especially the ground cable. I also recommend trying to start in a dark garage, and if you see any sparks, that is a problem location.

Fish

Lawn Pro
Threads
Rapidly clicking makes me think that it is a poor connection.

toolman034

Forum Newbie
Threads
Sounds like a dirty or corroded connection from sitting. You need to clean them and give that a try at the battery and the other end of both cables also cable between starter and solenoid if you have one.

Stokdgs

Threads
So, you got the new battery - did you charge it up before trying to start your machine?
What was the voltage on the new battery when you bought it?
I put float chargers on all my car batteries, for example, and never have issues with batteries until a cell dies years down the road..
I would take my Fluke Meter out and measure the battery before, and then after, as it is trying to start the machine, to see what the load reading is..
Good luck with this !

grc212

Forum Newbie
Threads
I have not taken spark plugs out to try, the bench test was done in back to where I could not see but I did hear it working and as fast as he had it working I would say it was without load. Is it normal to have to adjust the valves on this type engine? Once I have it started and its warmed up the starter has no problem re-starting it after shut off many times, its only after it sits for couple days that seems the starter can not fully turn flywheel over as you can see it slightly moving before starting to make clicking noise.
I have the same mower also 2 yrs old, all good advice from everyone but I'm wondering about rotating the cold engine by hand and it starts makes me think one of those safety switches is about to go TU or needs adjusted...

VRR.DYNDNS>BIZ

Threads
Almost two year old Toro SS4225 Time Cutter with 22.5hp commercial engine has started to become impossible to start since last fall. Turn the key to start and starter solenoid clicks rapidly, notice the fly wheel cover starts to move but nothing.
1. Checked the battery voltage, 13.4v+/-
2. Check starter solenoid, listen and fell for clicking noise
3. Check voltage at the input side of solenoid, 13v
4. Check voltage at side connected to starter with key turned to start position, 12.8v
5. Even though solenoid seemed to be ok tried shorting the voltage across solenoid, same results starter engages but does not turn flywheel at all
6. Removed engine flywheel shroud/cover and turn engine over by hand, some resistance most likely compression
7. Tried to start again, same results
8. Repeated turning engine over by hand and try to start again, this time started.
9. Let engine run a few minutes to charge battery up a little and then shut off
10. Turn key to restart, no issues started up fine.
11. Replace engine flywheel shroud/cover and park in building
12. Two days later try to start and same issue, have to remove shroud/cover and repeat process
13. Purchased new solenoid and battery just to rule out and same issues.

Why must the engine be turned over by hand when cold, is the starter that much of a POS, I had it bench tested at a Toro shop and was told it was ok.
Your engine when parked is filling the top of cylinder(s) with oil or gas. when you crank it over by hand or have run it and start it up soon after running, the oil or gas in the cylinder has been pushed out so the piston can travel full stroke. Both oil or gas or both cannot be compressed. Oil can get there if the oil level is high and or the plugs are downhill a bit and the oil level seeps by the rings when set for a while. If it is gas in the cylinders, the carb being gravity feed is over filling the carb float and getting into the cylinder as it sets or on the first roll over. Plugs will most likely but not positively wet if pulled. If after setting with plugs out and cranks, oil or gas may spit out the plug hole and a spark can ignite the gas and you know what that means, so a bit of caution. If it is valves, as another person suggested, plugs out will also alleviate the issue, since decompression action of properly adjusted valves is not a concern with the plugs out. Poor connections can also "repair" high resistance temporarily when heat and current attempt to push thru the poor connection or moisture adds to the resistance by increasing the corrosion. If 9 volts or more is at the starter terminal, then sufficient voltage is present at the starter to do the job as long as grounds are good. If 11 or more volts at the starter, then it may be not drawing enough to do the work. I only mention all these other possibilities since they are possible, yet your explanation of first attempt to crank and once thru top dead center or run, will crank pretty much tell my hydro lock story.

jclaf

Forum Newbie
Threads
Hi guys,
I had this same problem with a Kohler Twin 22 hp and then again with a new 20 hp.
Did the whole dealer thing, all the connecting parts upgraded battery, solenoid, stronger starter....
Even bought an improved compression release. It only worked when the valves were adjusted perfectly. Adjustment only lasted a short time.
My solution was to remove the grate over the fan and EVERY TIME IT STOPS, back the engine up until it's against the cam.
The starter isn't capable of getting over the hump.
I gave up on the std. solutions and now I don't have to stress out whether or not it's going to work.
JCC

packardv8

Threads
Two similar problems, easiest solution first.

I fought a similar no start problem and the solution was so simple I couldn't believe it. Even though it showed continuity on an ohmmeter, the OEM battery ground cable end had too much resistance under load. Cut it off, stripped another 1/2" to bare wire, cleaned it, crimped on a copper ring terminal and no more problems.

My 4235 has a Kohler V-Twin and there are two starters which can fit it. The original starter has no support bearing beyond the pinion gear. There is another starter, which actually costs less!!, which has a support bearing on the nose of the starter shaft. That's the one to get.

jack vines