Toro Time Cutter SS4225 Wont Turn Over

wllmsamy

Forum Newbie
Threads
Almost two year old Toro SS4225 Time Cutter with 22.5hp commercial engine has started to become impossible to start since last fall. Turn the key to start and starter solenoid clicks rapidly, notice the fly wheel cover starts to move but nothing.
1. Checked the battery voltage, 13.4v+/-
2. Check starter solenoid, listen and fell for clicking noise
3. Check voltage at the input side of solenoid, 13v
4. Check voltage at side connected to starter with key turned to start position, 12.8v
5. Even though solenoid seemed to be ok tried shorting the voltage across solenoid, same results starter engages but does not turn flywheel at all
6. Removed engine flywheel shroud/cover and turn engine over by hand, some resistance most likely compression
7. Tried to start again, same results
8. Repeated turning engine over by hand and try to start again, this time started.
9. Let engine run a few minutes to charge battery up a little and then shut off
10. Turn key to restart, no issues started up fine.
11. Replace engine flywheel shroud/cover and park in building
12. Two days later try to start and same issue, have to remove shroud/cover and repeat process
13. Purchased new solenoid and battery just to rule out and same issues.

Why must the engine be turned over by hand when cold, is the starter that much of a POS, I had it bench tested at a Toro shop and was told it was ok.

Scrubcadet10

Staff member
Threads
if you take the spark plug(s) out, will it crank over?
i'm suspecting the valves are out of adjustment. however, i think if you can turn the engine by hand, the starter should be able too.
Did the toro shop test the starter under load? you may have to take it to parts store like o'riellys and ask them to test it, FREE.

wllmsamy

Forum Newbie
Threads
if you take the spark plug(s) out, will it crank over?
i'm suspecting the valves are out of adjustment. however, i think if you can turn the engine by hand, the starter should be able too.
Did the toro shop test the starter under load? you may have to take it to parts store like o'riellys and ask them to test it, FREE.
I have not taken spark plugs out to try, the bench test was done in back to where I could not see but I did hear it working and as fast as he had it working I would say it was without load. Is it normal to have to adjust the valves on this type engine? Once I have it started and its warmed up the starter has no problem re-starting it after shut off many times, its only after it sits for couple days that seems the starter can not fully turn flywheel over as you can see it slightly moving before starting to make clicking noise.

Scrubcadet10

Staff member
Threads
Valves are usually adjusted periodically at X hours depending on the manufacturer.
but since it runs good when it starts. it is probably not the case.
try cranking it with the plugs out.

a022mil

Threads
I believe you have a 3 yr warranty , can not a dealer figure out what is wrong with your mower, I have the same exact mower, any problem’s, the dealer has taken care of it, I do not have too worry.

wllmsamy

Forum Newbie
Threads
I believe you have a 3 yr warranty , can not a dealer figure out what is wrong with your mower, I have the same exact mower, any problem’s, the dealer has taken care of it, I do not have too worry.
Ok good to know, will see about having it looked at.

Born2Mow

Threads
Regardless of what your voltmeter says, your battery is DEAD. You can only test a battery with a Load Tester.

Lawn Addict
Threads
Put jumper cables on it from another battery & re-test starting. But if yours is under warranty, be careful what you attempt at home.

wllmsamy

Forum Newbie
Threads
Regardless of what your voltmeter says, your battery is DEAD. You can only test a battery with a Load Tester.
Battery taken out was tested at autozone and found to be good, even so still bought a brand new battery with same results.