Toro Time Cutter SS4225 Wont Turn Over

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Because ZTR's wiring is more exposed to the elements it suffers more than tractor mowers wiring.
My diagnostic technique includes bypassing the mowers battery cables with booster leads .
Regularly find a cable that is corroded i the middle so will show 0 Ω with a meter & 12 V with a meter but will not pass enough current to crank the engine

packardv8

Threads
Because ZTR's wiring is more exposed to the elements it suffers more than tractor mowers wiring.
Would that were true. I had as many wiring problems with Cub Cadet tractors as with the ZTR Toro. None of them use waterproof connectors on the switches and wiring.

jack vines

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Yes but the difference is the cub wiring tends to go 10 or so years then drive you mad when you run out of booze.
ZTR;s tend to go bad in a much shorter time

slomo

Lawn Addict
Threads
Two similar problems, easiest solution first.

I fought a similar no start problem and the solution was so simple I couldn't believe it. Even though it showed continuity on an ohmmeter, the OEM battery ground cable end had too much resistance under load. Cut it off, stripped another 1/2" to bare wire, cleaned it, crimped on a copper ring terminal and no more problems.

My 4235 has a Kohler V-Twin and there are two starters which can fit it. The original starter has no support bearing beyond the pinion gear. There is another starter, which actually costs less!!, which has a support bearing on the nose of the starter shaft. That's the one to get.

jack vines
"Cut it off, stripped another 1/2" to bare wire, cleaned it, crimped on a copper ring terminal and no more problems." (y)

Look into star grounding washers while you are at it.

Born2Mow

Threads
Could be several things....
  • Cabling issues due to corrosion
  • Fuse issues
  • Safety switch interlock issues