Toro SS 5000 Electronic Brake Won't Release

Tiger Small Engine

Threads
I can understand your frustration. Hopefully you can understand why shops charge $80 an hour to diagnose and repair your problems. The tools, skills, and experience that a good small engine mechanic have are of value. The cost saves your time, frustration, and parts that are often thrown at a problem in an attempt to fix it.

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
Please refer to the service manual for testing. You must have a DVMM to do the testing.

When it comes to repairing the harness you must have the proper tools. And the MX150 12P connector is particular easy to screw up. For a DIYer it is best to just replace the whole harness. And not dielectric is not to be used. It will cause problem in itself per Toro.

The Molex MX150 series repair instructions are available @ https://drive.google.com/file/d/144KvAhQFZYznSQAxZYKDcaP3LV5N4bvG/view?usp=drive_link

Info on the connector.
1717152907141.png

As said the tools are expensive for an one time repair. Even most small shops won't invest in them. I did but it because I do a lot electrical repairs where other shops have royally screw up the harnesses. And that it is lower in cost to just repair the harnesses when you do have the tools. Even at this I have only used the tools a few times in the last five years.

Last edited:

Gooser

Forum Newbie
Threads
I can understand your frustration. Hopefully you can understand why shops charge $80 an hour to diagnose and repair your problems. The tools, skills, and experience that a good small engine mechanic have are of value. The cost saves your time, frustration, and parts that are often thrown at a problem in an attempt to fix it.
I totally understand why they charge what they charge. It's worth it and then some. The money is honestly not the only issue. First of all I couldn't move it until I got the brake released and the shop I bought my mower from recently closed and now the closest repair shop is over an hour away and when I spoke to them they said they couldn't get to it any time soon. I assure you I would rather not be dealing with it.

Gooser

Forum Newbie
Threads
Please refer to the service manual for testing. You must have a DVMM to do the testing.

When it comes to repairing the harness you must have the proper tools. And the MX150 12P connector is particular easy to screw up. For a DIYer it is best to just replace the whole harness. And not dielectric is not to be used. It will cause problem in itself per Toro.

The Molex MX150 series repair instructions are available @ https://drive.google.com/file/d/144KvAhQFZYznSQAxZYKDcaP3LV5N4bvG/view?usp=drive_link

Info on the connector.
View attachment 68798

As said the tools are expensive for an one time repair. Even most small shops won't invest in them. I did but it because I do a lot electrical repairs where other shops have royally screw up the harnesses. And that it is lower in cost to just repair the harnesses when you do have the tools. Even at this I have only used the tools a few times in the last five years.
Thank you! A new harness is only $150. If it turns out to need a plug it would probably make more sense to replace the harness which is what the repair shop would do anyway.

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
Yes most shops would just do that as their techs are just more on the parts replacer type. There is just not that many of us that actually do real repairs left.

Besides the last time I brought one those harnesses I paid only $95 but that was back in 2020. Even My current supplier it is $128 plus shipping.

Gooser

Forum Newbie
Threads
Just wanted to update everyone in case anyone else has this problem. I replaced the wiring harness and that did the trick. It was the plug for the electronic brake that was defective. I can see why they recommend to replace it when you replace the e-brake. I appreciate everyone's help.

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
For any shop that wish to just repair this by replacing the connector housing and terminals I have the info available. But it is just not cost effective for a DIYer to do so.