Toro Recycler Mower Starts But Won't Stay Running

Mharnisch

Threads
I have a Toro recycler self-propelled mower model 20042 with a Briggs & stratton 6.0 GTS engine. In order to get it started, I have to push the primer bulb at least half a dozen times and the engine will start. However, it will only run for a few seconds before stopping. If I keep pushing the primer bulb after it starts, it will run. But as soon as I stop pushing the primer bulb, it quits. At the end of last season I added Stabil to the gas tank and ran it dry, so I don't think it is gummed up. Removing the air filter makes no difference. Since the mower is 16 years old And the last time it ran it surged, I suspected a vacuum leak. I checked the carburetor to be sure it was tightly attached and it was. I also ran some Sea Foam through it the last time it ran but it didn't seem to do anything. I am hoping someone else may have experienced this problem and can help me out with a fix.
Thank you.

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Common problem I run into about once a day and here is how I solve it. The repair kit you will need is Briggs part number 398188. Just follow this procedure to the letter and you should solve your problem.

Needle and seat replacement.

Remove the carb, and then remove the float bowl. Check the float bowl jet (which is the bowl screw) and make sure the jets both horizontal and vertical are clean and open. Tip the carb upside down and remove the float pin and float with needle attached. Look in the float needle passage and you should see the red float seat at the bottom of the passage. This is where a #5 crotchet hook would come in handy as you need to remove this seat. If you have no hook, but compressed air, you can blow through the fuel inlet and try to pop the seat out. Put your thumb over the passage to prevent the seat from flying who knows where. No air or hook try bending a stiff paper clip to dig the seat out.

I would either give the carb a good 24 hour soaking or have it ultrasonically cleaned at this time.

With the seat out clean the passage way with carb cleaner. Now you must find a drill bit slightly smaller than the passage way, to be used to press in the new seat. Apply a very, very small amount of a very light lube to the new seat. 3-1 oil or lighter, to help seat it better. Carefully insert the new seat in the passage way with the rings on the seat down toward the carb body. Slowly and carefully force the seat down with the back end of the drill bit. Once it is seated, check to see that it did not flip and the rings are up. *Next check to make sure that the float does not have any liquid in it. *If it does, replace. *If everything looks correct, attach the new needle to the float and install with the float pin centered. It everything is correct, the float should seat level to the carb body, when looking at it upside down. If everything looks good reattach the float bowl, making sure that both the bowl gasket and the nut gasket seal properly. Reinstall on the engine and test unit. Remember to have patience and take your time. Good luck, but I don't think you'll need it.

PS: *On the side of some Tecumseh carbs you will find a plastic cover. *Under this cover will be an idle jet. *Remove it and check to see that the jet is open both horizontally and vertically. *You should be able to push the old float needle wire through the vertical opening.

Mharnisch

Threads
Thank you for the information. I removed the carburetor today and have it soaking in gumout cleaner overnight. Will pick up the parts you mentioned tomorrow, put everything back together, I hope, and try it out. I have cleaned out all the holes in the carburetor that i can find. However, there is one hole that i can't get a fine needle into. I wish I could take a picture but my camera won't take closeups. I will expain best I can.
If you look at the air filter end of the carburetor, you will see a small hole on the left face of the flange just below the flange bolt hole. Just inside the carburetor adjacent to the hole in the face of the flange, there appears to be another very small hole that looks like it should go straight into the carburetor. I tried pushing a very fine sewing needle into this hole, but it will only go in a very short distance. I am wondering if this is really a jet or not. It almost looks like the material where this hole is might be brass, but looks might be deceiving. I would appreciate your comments.

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Being honest I don't know what you are talking about, but it makes no difference. I never poke any wires through any holes in the carb body. I have used the posted procedure for years with excellent results. Biggest thing you need to do is make sure the float is set properly.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
That is the idle venturi and the fastest way to bugger it is to poke something down it.
Wire is for knockin slag off the inside of a oxy tip, or removing soot build ups from metho stoves.
like rivets I never poke wire through a jet.

primerbulb120

Threads
Thank you for the information. I removed the carburetor today and have it soaking in gumout cleaner overnight. Will pick up the parts you mentioned tomorrow, put everything back together, I hope, and try it out. I have cleaned out all the holes in the carburetor that i can find. However, there is one hole that i can't get a fine needle into. I wish I could take a picture but my camera won't take closeups. I will expain best I can.
If you look at the air filter end of the carburetor, you will see a small hole on the left face of the flange just below the flange bolt hole. Just inside the carburetor adjacent to the hole in the face of the flange, there appears to be another very small hole that looks like it should go straight into the carburetor. I tried pushing a very fine sewing needle into this hole, but it will only go in a very short distance. I am wondering if this is really a jet or not. It almost looks like the material where this hole is might be brass, but looks might be deceiving. I would appreciate your comments.

That's actually a vent hole for the float bowl if I remember correctly. I ran a wire through one to see where it went.

Mharnisch

Threads
That's actually a vent hole for the float bowl if I remember correctly. I ran a wire through one to see where it went.

You are correct. I ran a twist tie (with the paper stripped off) through the hole and could see the wire going to the bowl. Purchased an overhaul kit which contained new float needle and seat and gaskets. Put everything back together and it started with one pull. Still don't know what the problem was, but it is fixed now. Thanks to everyone for your help.