Buying Advice Toro or Honda OHV engine?

Threads
New guy here. Sorry to revive an old thread, but I'm in the same boat and looking for opinions. I was thinking maybe now that it's later in the year, folks may have had more of a chance to use the Toro's with the newer motor and give an opinion on what they think.

Toro with cast-iron sleeve and ball bearing, but unknown in its longevity since it's new? Or Honda with aluminum bore and bushings, but longer track record?

I've heard that initially the Toro motors that were built had some carb issues, but that they've been fixed now? Rivets mentioned something about hating the carb on the Toro so maybe he could elaborate here?

The 20381 is on sale at my local dealer so it actually ends up saving me $80 instead of $50 if I go that route. I just don't want to kick myself later wishing I had gone with the Honda...

Honda engines are super reliable and easy to start. Sorry you didn't get a response sooner, but I hope that helps. I would go with Honda, but the Toro wouldn't be bad.

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
The carbs on the new Toros are driving me crazy due to hard restarting problems. I have been working on them since they came out and have boiled it down to three causes. First, I have found about a dozen with improperly set auto chokes which are not allowing the chokes to close all the way. Second, I don't feel that the quality control on the jets is very good. Not allowing enough fuel to enter the air horn during choking. Third, seeing that they are not serviceable, if you don't understand complete carb operation and the science behind them, you must replace, which I have to do about 25% of the time. Lucky, they are still under warranty. I can say that I am working with Toro tech service to get this solved, and I woulld say (I hope) this will be solved with the 2013 models.

Threads
The carbs on the new Toros are driving me crazy due to hard restarting problems. I have been working on them since they came out and have boiled it down to three causes. First, I have found about a dozen with improperly set auto chokes which are not allowing the chokes to close all the way. Second, I don't feel that the quality control on the jets is very good. Not allowing enough fuel to enter the air horn during choking. Third, seeing that they are not serviceable, if you don't understand complete carb operation and the science behind them, you must replace, which I have to do about 25% of the time. Lucky, they are still under warranty. I can say that I am working with Toro tech service to get this solved, and I woulld say (I hope) this will be solved with the 2013 models.

Do you feel the Honda engines are any better??

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Most Honda engines are excellent, except for the small verticals which are on the cheap big box mowers. Personally, I don't like Honda, because I feel that they are over priced and repairing them costs more for the customer, due to the fact that the customer must either have them repaired at a shop where they must charge labor rates of the motorcycle techs or at repair shops where they charge a high labor rate on units which they do not do warranty service on. I have repaired many Honda's and the biggest frustration is how hard it is to get service info, because we are not a Honda service center. Lucky, while teaching I made a few good contacts with Honda service techs who have bailed me out many times.

stygz

Threads
How much is a new carb for the new Toro motors anyway? I still have yet to buy a new mower. I am waiting to see what 2013 models show up. I have heard there are some new Honda mowers or updated ones in the works. Also In my area you are pretty much having to buy from big box stores or order from an online retailer if you want a Toro Super recycler. Another concern I was thinking is the new Toro motors where do you get an air filter? Would I have to order one online every time or will home depot be carrying toro air filters next year along with toro mowers with toro engines? The Toro motors seem to have specs that would make you think they will be a good engine.

Threads
How much is a new carb for the new Toro motors anyway? I still have yet to buy a new mower. I am waiting to see what 2013 models show up. I have heard there are some new Honda mowers or updated ones in the works. Also In my area you are pretty much having to buy from big box stores or order from an online retailer if you want a Toro Super recycler. Another concern I was thinking is the new Toro motors where do you get an air filter? Would I have to order one online every time or will home depot be carrying toro air filters next year along with toro mowers with toro engines? The Toro motors seem to have specs that would make you think they will be a good engine.

I don't how how much new carbs are, etc. But if you are looking to buy from an online retailer, I would suggest Mowers Direct. Lawn Mowers Direct - Your Lawn Mower Superstore – Lawn Mower for Sale, Buy Lawn Mowers, Lawnmower, Lawnmowers, Lawn Mowers for Sale, Buy Lawn Mower

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
The air filters for the Toro carbs are the same as Briggs, 491588.

Larry R

Threads
I don't know anything about the Toro engine other than what I read on the forum. Please do not buy a GVX series Honda---you will regret it. I have had many Honda engines but the (made in China GVX) is garbage---constant valve issues. Hustler canceled their contract with Honda due to the issues and has gone to primarily Kawasaki. That is what I paid to put on my mower to replace the Honda----I refused to consider the distributor rebuilding the less than 2 yr old motor for the 4th time. It has more power and runs better than the Honda.. The service guys say even the Kohlers and Briggs are not what they once were---building them cheaper and pricing them higher.