To buy or not to buy

ueww40

Threads
No, it's not on FB marketplace. It's on CL either Mobile AL or Auburn AL and it sounds like it is a private seller not a junk flipper but something is toxic about this thing. It's been on CL for a month now and no takers. I just noticed they just dropped the price to $250. You almost can't lose even if the engine is complete toast. The hydros and the deck are worth more than that. I think I may make the trip on the weekend and satisfy my curiosity. But i will definitely give the seller a call first to find out a little more.

Craftsman Garage

Threads
I just saw the listing you mention and personally, I would go for it, not much to lose as long as it doesn't seem sketchy or anything. It looks like it hasn't been used in a while from the photos.

GearHead36

Threads
I came across a Cub Pro Z100S on CL that had been on there for a couple of months. Asking price was $2500. It sold new for $9000. It ran, and mowed, but still needed some work. I bought it for $2000, and fixed it up. I think I spent around $300-$350 on parts and tools. It's a beast of a machine. I think the steering wheel scared people away. This one DID need work, but I wouldn't have called it a basket case since I was able to verify that it ran and mowed.

Peva

Threads
Look Out! Beware! Just Say No!
$300? Screams, for parts only!
I admit my first ZTR was a real cheapy, And I believe it cost me also about $300. But, I knew it ran, as it was delivered and cranked up and made a pass around the yard; before I handed over the fiat.
What ScrubCadet 10 said, but, Cub Cadet was once respected, B4 MTD bought 'em up. So was TroyBilt, also before MTD went cheap on 'em. If the owner is willing to get it running and up the price for the costs of repair, you be getting a deal.

Get a used model that has good drive response and work that reverse drive action repeatedly, beforehand.
ZTR mowers, the next best thing to brush whackers.

Check your local HomeDepot for clearance prices on Ryobi ZTR. Saw a 30" for $800 and 54" for $1000. They won't last til the end of the week. HomeDepot is dropping the line, word of mouth.
"Check your local HomeDepot for clearance prices on Ryobi ZTR. Saw a 30" for $800 and 54" for $1000. They won't last til the end of the week. HomeDepot is dropping the line, word of mouth."

I'm off topic of this thread, but since it's appeared to have run its course, I hope it'll be OK:
You sure about your info. on Home Depot and Ryobi? Their site currently lists the Ryobi ZTRs at the prices they've been running them at all season (30" @$2999, etc.) and all models still available (120 30", 98 42", 46 54") at those prices.

Is the rumor that HD is dropping Ryobi altogether or just the Ryobi ZTRs?

Last edited:

Gebo

Threads
Offer him $100. Should be fun loading it.

hollydolly

Threads
DO NOT WAIST YOUR TIME AND MONEY. IF IT WERE ONLY THE STARTER, HE WOUD REPLACE IT AND TRIPPLE HIS MONEY. HE IS DANGLING A 300.00 CARROT IN FRONT OF YOU. YOU GET WHAT YOU PAY FOR AND SOMETIMES A LOT LESS.
HE BAITED HIS LINE WITH 300, BE SMART, DON'T BITE, YOU WILL REGRET IT!!!!!!!!
KEEP LOOKING AND BUY A GOOD ONE...
IF YOU DO FALL FOR IT LET US KNOW HOW IT WORKED OUT.

Freddie21

Threads
I buy a lot of used mowers. If it's a hydro and doesn't run, I walk away unless there's enough good sellable parts to more than make up the price paid. You won't know if it drive, even at all, or know anything about the deck drive and spindle condition. If the starter is still installed, look at the red wire connection. Is it full of burn pits? This would mean that people have been trying to start by jumping to the starter. Depending on the engine, you might be able to grab the pinion gear and try and turn the starter. Otherwise stay away. Don't listen to "ok, everything else is good or IDK anything about it".. Seller really does.

ueww40

Threads
Well, last Sunday I drove the 200 miles to see the mower and I bought it for $250 while keeping my fingers crossed and hoping for the best. The seller was a senior gentleman who seemed to be honest and sincere. He answered all my questions in a way that made sense without raising a red flag, except for one, the one about the starter. The mower has not been running for almost a year. Everything was just fine until it quit, he said. No issues with the hydros, the deck or engine. But then the starter went bad. For almost a year, he said, he has been trying to find a starter for this GXV630 Honda engine and was unable to find one. Now that is hard to believe and I don't know what's up with that. I googled it to find one and they popped up like pretty girls on the beach. I don't know what he is talking about, but I am sure I will find out when I get to it. The fan covers are missing, they jerryrigged an electric fuel pump to the engine and who knows what other dumb things he did, but that is the challenge and I will find out as I go through it all with a fine toothed comb. After I got back home I gave it a good cleaning and I must say I am very happy with what I got for $250. With only 250 hours on the meter it almost looks new. All original paint, no flaking or rust anywhere and if nobody ever opened the engine and messed with it, it should be ok too. The seat is kinda weathered and I noticed that the right front caster swivel bracket is severely binding. Probably one or both ball bearing are shot, not a big deal to replace. Other then that I got my project for the winter cut out and I am all excited about it. Hopefully no money pit or unpleasant surprises but when I get done with it, it should be like a like new ZT worth a good $2000.

Attachments

• RZT1.JPG
    RZT1.JPG
    88.5 KB · Views: 28
  • RZT2.JPG
    RZT2.JPG
    176.3 KB · Views: 26
  • RZT3.JPG
    RZT3.JPG
    139.5 KB · Views: 26
  • RZT4.JPG
    RZT4.JPG
    81.8 KB · Views: 26

Heretik

Threads
"Check your local HomeDepot for clearance prices on Ryobi ZTR. Saw a 30" for $800 and 54" for $1000. They won't last til the end of the week. HomeDepot is dropping the line, word of mouth."

I'm off topic of this thread, but since it's appeared to have run its course, I hope it'll be OK:
You sure about your info. on Home Depot and Ryobi. Their site currently lists the Ryobi ZTRs at the prices they've been running them at all season (30" @$2999, etc.) and all models still available (120 30", 98 42", 46 54") at those prices.

Is the rumor that HD is dropping Ryobi altogether or just the Ryobi ZTRs?
Was a HD service desk associate that lent me his ear. As there were no more on his HD lot, aside from the last 30 incher, and none at my other favored HD store, 40 miles the other way, I'm fairly confident the queen bed has become separate bedrooms. HD will continue with the line of Ryobi hand tools and cordial breakfast meetings.

Lets face it, the cost of going "green" shouldn't be nearly 100% increase, over a new gasser ZTR. That's profiteering from the Afghanistan rape boondoggle* and a wise American won't stand for such pilfering. My last gasser 42" ZTR, "hefty" with manufactured deck was $3500. My current Ryobi 42" with cheap carp stamped deck was $6000 (rounded to nearest $), original MSRP;with what I regard as an unsafe iDrive joystick steering. I can cut 15 minutes off my mowing time with a Lap Bar Steering ZTR.

And for the low low price of $4000 (today's dollars) in 3-5 years for replacement batteries; I'd have been wiser to get another gasser or spend $1600 for a replacement engine now. The Kawasaki FR651 is a POS, with engineered failure. Personally, I'd shy away from any FR series engines. I estimate the engine had less than150 hours (max) on it; with above average maintenance on it. My FR651 had a starter, one coil and belt replaced during it's operable life; as well as oil change ever 50 hours. The FR651 (21HP) = POS Carp. It's a compression release mechanism (as described by my mechanic) integral to cam that is the SNAFU. I presume it (SNAFU) is integral with all Kawasaki FR series engines. There is a "reach around" involving a manual choking at start up; But, that only assisted for one season,

*Afghanistan plundering has led to opioid crisis here at home and trillions $$$ in lithium profiteering. Abhorred credits to spreading of defunct Democracy, aka, Capitalism, go to Goobermints, here and abroad. You remember Goober; cousin to Gomer Pyle, another half-wit?

Last edited: