To buy or not to buy

ueww40

Threads
I am thinking about buying a zero turn Cub Cadet model RZT-L46 FAB (17AGCACN010). That one has the Honda engine GXV630. I don't know anything about CC or zero turners. My mowers in the past have been Craftsman and Ariens. $300 asking price seems to be a good deal. Seller says it needs a starter and engine is not running, but turns by hand. It's about a 100 miles away so I have not gone out to see the mower yet. Can you guys give me some tips what to look out for, what to check and what questions to ask about this particular model, its known weak spots and trouble areas and its good points. I understand that some of these zero turners have electronics involved, safety sensors and what not that play tricks on you. What makes me wonder and kinda suspicious is that the mower has been up for sale for almost a month now and I am sure that a few bargain hunters have beaten a path to see this mower, I mean 300 bucks is cheap for a ZT, and walked away. - ????? I really appreciate your input on this. Thanks

Scrubcadet10

Staff member
Threads
Cub Cadet (MTD) doesn't make the best residential mowers in my opinion, however i have serviced a few of the cub zero turns and i will say they're easy to do maintenance on... think blade belts and drive belts, fairly easy access.
Honda makes a good engine, but the fact you won't be able to start the mower is a red flag... You might offer him another hundred dollars or so if the owner would replace the starter so you could run it... But, i wouldn't buy it without operating it.

Heretik

Threads
Look Out! Beware! Just Say No!
$300? Screams, for parts only!
I admit my first ZTR was a real cheapy, And I believe it cost me also about $300. But, I knew it ran, as it was delivered and cranked up and made a pass around the yard; before I handed over the fiat.
What ScrubCadet 10 said, but, Cub Cadet was once respected, B4 MTD bought 'em up. So was TroyBilt, also before MTD went cheap on 'em. If the owner is willing to get it running and up the price for the costs of repair, you be getting a deal.

Get a used model that has good drive response and work that reverse drive action repeatedly, beforehand.
ZTR mowers, the next best thing to brush whackers.

Check your local HomeDepot for clearance prices on Ryobi ZTR. Saw a 30" for $800 and 54" for $1000. They won't last til the end of the week. HomeDepot is dropping the line, word of mouth.

Heretik

Threads
Kawasaki engines are widely available on ZTR mowers. Beware, the FR651 specifically and I surmise the entire FR series engines suffer the same engineering F.U; it's just a matter of time. The FR651 is known, according to my repairman, for the failure of the Compression Release mechanism, integral to the cam shaft; which, IMO, is too expensive to repair [cost of a new engine, which in my case a replacement FR651 (21HP) are no longer available].

kbowley

Threads
I am thinking about buying a zero turn Cub Cadet model RZT-L46 FAB (17AGCACN010). That one has the Honda engine GXV630. I don't know anything about CC or zero turners. My mowers in the past have been Craftsman and Ariens. $300 asking price seems to be a good deal. Seller says it needs a starter and engine is not running, but turns by hand. It's about a 100 miles away so I have not gone out to see the mower yet. Can you guys give me some tips what to look out for, what to check and what questions to ask about this particular model, its known weak spots and trouble areas and its good points. I understand that some of these zero turners have electronics involved, safety sensors and what not that play tricks on you. What makes me wonder and kinda suspicious is that the mower has been up for sale for almost a month now and I am sure that a few bargain hunters have beaten a path to see this mower, I mean 300 bucks is cheap for a ZT, and walked away. - ????? I really appreciate your input on this. Thanks
I wouldn't spend $300 on what could potentially be a machine made up of parts. Without knowing the condition of the engine – whether it's damaged, it's risky. I suggest telling the seller that you'll cover the cost of a starter if they agree to replace it so you can hear the machine run. If they're not open to this, it's best to walk away.

ueww40

Threads
I hear y'all. If it's still available by the weekend I will give the seller a call and pump him for more info and ask him if he has any repair estimates to get it running. That should tell me a lot already

Heretik

Threads
ueww40, I spoke of exercising the reverse gear repeatedly. That is my ignorant means of assuring myself of the wellness of the drive. If it wont respond immediately to reverse drive instructions, I'd be leary. When you drive your way into a hornets nest you want to back out now!

Drive forward, stop, pull back on the reins - If slow, or sluggish to respond do it again a few times; and think twice.
I've a new Ryobi iDrive ZTR with a POS tranny; as it does not respond well. Had I followed my own advise upon receipt of it, I probably wouldn't have gassed it up.
Aside; the iDrive (joystick steering) is a safety hazard IMHO. That hornet's nest encounter is a real nightmare.

kbowley

Threads
ueww40, I spoke of exercising the reverse gear repeatedly. That is my ignorant means of assuring myself of the wellness of the drive. If it wont respond immediately to reverse drive instructions, I'd be leary. When you drive your way into a hornets nest you want to back out now!

Drive forward, stop, pull back on the reins - If slow, or sluggish to respond do it again a few times; and think twice.
I've a new Ryobi iDrive ZTR with a POS tranny; as it does not respond well. Had I followed my own advise upon receipt of it, I probably wouldn't have gassed it up.
Aside; the iDrive (joystick steering) is a safety hazard IMHO. That hornet's nest encounter is a real nightmare.
Imo, that test is ineffective as a measure of transmission health because many feature dampers that prevent abrupt movements. If it is quiet and can pull a steep hill without slowing down once fully warmed up, it is fine. Forward/reverse is useless because all you're doing is moving the swash plate and reversing the direction of the motor's pressure, which is the same depending on how much the swash plate is moved. Leaky pistons, worn slippers on the pistons where they meet the swash plate, the swash plate itself, and a defective check valve (or valves) all contribute to pressure loss. Many machines' reverse is slow due to "safety" or a lack of modification. Respectfully. Kevin.

Last edited:

ueww40

Threads
I was never too afraid of an engine that at least you can turn freely by hand even if it is not running. It's the ones with with busted rods, dropped valves, holes in pistons or seized solidly, that will cost a pretty penny to fix or at worst aren't worth fixing. The seller says the trannies and the deck are good (these are the other 2 items that could junk a ZT easily), so there is something that doesn't jive. To replace a bad starter doesn't cost that much and selling a mower for $300 that should bring $1500 if in good shape over a lousy starter doesn't make sense. Is there something about the Honda engine that scares even those away that are not scared of bad engines why the ZT is still available after nearly one month. I wish I could see it with my own eyes. It would probably answer most of my questions. I think I read somewhere that something as little as a blown fuse could be the reason the starter and the engine are not working. Sounds too easy !!!

evh

Threads
A tip:

If this unit is on FB Marketplace, take a look at:

1. What other items the seller is selling
2. What other items the seller has sold
3. What items you see in the background of all of the photos the seller has posted for all of their items for sale and other pics they have posted

This will give you an idea if the seller is a normal home owner getting rid of a machine, or a "flipper" that doesn't even want to mess with this unit.

In FB a new posting showed up for 2 Cub Lawn tractor's for < $200 OBO. One was a newer model and the other a series before their latest. I was about to respond when I looked at his other For Sale and Sold listings. He is a flipper of these type of machines. My guess is these two are basket case machines vs a regular home owner simply dumping some broken machines for cheap.