Tire Plug

D2hornets58

Threads
I have a walkbehind mower and the back tire has a very small hole. The hole is on the very edge of the traction. Its like right where the traction and the side wall meet. The tire is fairly new and i didnt want to get a new one. In the past I have brought other mower tires to the gas station and they put in a patch. would I be able to put a plug in that location or do i need a new tire. I have also used green slime on other tires. Im pretty sure thats just for holes on the tread. What would be a better way to patch the hole or should I just get a new tire?
Thanks

ILENGINE

Lawn Royalty
Threads
I have plugged side walls on mower tires, The slime should also seal the sidewall, it seals the leaks around the rim also.

reynoldston

Lawn Pro
Threads
I have plugged side walls on mower tires, The slime should also seal the sidewall, it seals the leaks around the rim also.

I have used the green slime in a pinch but you pay for it the next time you have to remove the tire. What a mess. I also have used plugs which I find the best luck when the leak is in the thread. I am going to say I have never tryed to plug a side wall on a mower tire. I have tryed plugging a side wall on a car and it doesn't work, but that is high speed.

D2hornets58

Threads
OK thanks I think im gonna try to plug it and see what happens

SONOFADOCKER

Threads
Easy to glue a patch on the inside if you take the tire off the machine. Let the air out . Push down on the bead . Add your patch . Let dry & fill up with air .

D2hornets58

Threads
I uasually bring my tires with small holes to the gas station and he puts a plug in for me. The only times ive done that the hole was on the tread. This one is right where the tread and the side wall meet. Do you think he would be able to put one in on that location. I also sometimes use green slime so which would work better? I wanted to try to avoid having to take the tire off the rim.
Thanks

reynoldston

Lawn Pro
Threads
I uasually bring my tires with small holes to the gas station and he puts a plug in for me. The only times ive done that the hole was on the tread. This one is right where the tread and the side wall meet. Do you think he would be able to put one in on that location. I also sometimes use green slime so which would work better? I wanted to try to avoid having to take the tire off the rim.
Thanks

Yes the green slim works real good and I have used it in my camp mower and ATV's where I don't have a way to repair them. It will repair up to a 1/4 in hole and that is true. Some where down the line years from now the tire will have to come off. It is one big mess and a lot of places that change tires will charge extra if it has green slim in them. The service station can't charge you much for puting a plug in can they and if that dosen't work green slim it that will work for sure.

fastback

Threads
I agree that green slime works well, but it would be my last option. Actually, I think I would consider a new tire first. What about a tube?

ILENGINE

Lawn Royalty
Threads
I think the extra charge for repairing a tire with sealant started back about the time they came out with fix a flat in the can. The stuff is highly corrosive to the rim and is hard to remove. Fix a flat was originally designed to be a temporary repair that most people tried to make permanent. The tire place would have to wire brush the rim and deal with the nasty properties of the fix a flat whereas the slime products just wash out with water and don't corrode the rims.

D2hornets58

Threads
The tire is almost brand new so I didnt want to have to get another one. I also dont think i want to put a tube in. Im gonna bring it to the gas station and see what he says. If that dosnt work Ill try the green slime. worst case ill buy a new tire. Like I said in the past i have used green slime on many tires and it has worked just about every time. The only reason i dont want to use that is like you said when the tire needs to come off its a mess. The hole is very small and its on the very edge of the tread so im not sure if they wil be able to plug it. Ill give it a try and see if it works seeing that it only costs me around ten dollars.
Thanks