This is what you get when a bunch of engineers get stoned and design a mower

Hammermechanicman

Lawn Addict
Threads
  • / This is what you get when a bunch of engineers get stoned and design a mower
Just let me know if you get two emails. I still learning the FF Relay add-on.

EDIT: Now I know how the free Relay account works as I assume replies are not normally done except with the premium account.
Yeah , got 2 emails
Thanks

Hammermechanicman

Lawn Addict
Threads
  • / This is what you get when a bunch of engineers get stoned and design a mower
Got it running and drove it around the yard. It is an interesting machine. Pulled the deck. one spindle had the blade hit something and buggared up the plastic pulleys and froze bearings and broken gilmer belt. Middle spindle has growling bearings. Both belt idlers have shot bearings. Guy wants it fixed $$$.
It has the Bio mulching deck.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Got it running and drove it around the yard. It is an interesting machine. Pulled the deck. one spindle had the blade hit something and buggared up the plastic pulleys and froze bearings and broken gilmer belt. Middle spindle has growling bearings. Both belt idlers have shot bearings. Guy wants it fixed $$$.
It has the Bio mulching deck.
Don't know what they were worth new in the USA but they were $ 8,000 down here more with a Kawasaki engine.
The discounted ones sold for $ 5,000, just a touch more expensive than the tractor style which were $ 4,000 to $ 5,000 for a 42" deck.

Once you get used to the rear ( tiller style ) steering you will love it .
The shear pins in the blades should be zinc like the old B & S flywheel keys
New blades should ship in a box with 2 pair of pins
Very common to find some dip sheet fitted an allen bolt in place of the pins and the results of that is what you have just found .
If it is likely going to be a long term customer then slip the central cover off & lube the cables .

I know they look funny but they work really really well & as every fastener is either a no tool Dutz or the same metric size, easy to work on particularly if fitted with the Kohler or Kawakasi engines .
The ones fitted with B & S engines of course require another 7 tools .

This was one of the mowers that took 2 days to remove a rear wheel and another full day to purge the tranny.
I had to resort to putting my sump pump on the overflow reseviour to suck the air out .

Hammermechanicman

Lawn Addict
Threads
This thing does not have shear pins. Spindles are like most others except for the plastic belt timing pulleys and the deck doesn't tilt up and no Dzus fasteners. It is nimble, kinda like driving a fork lift. Looks like i am the first to ever work on the deck. Had to use the 20 ton press to get the first spindle apart and the center one will be even more fun as the top pulley is seized on real good. A torch and bearing separator didn't get it off. Will have to move to plan B. Danger Will Robinson.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
If the blades overlap then there has to be a shear pin or they can strike each other if they get out of time
Part 506 94 55-01 in the diagram below which came from K & T web page if Star did not send you one
Despite there being 2 in each blade pack, you only fit one at a time
Bummer about the deck not flipping up
I have the dumped mowers here, plus 2 of the US cheapie version plus a Pro-Flex and they all have flip ups so I assumed that all of them were flip up.
 bioclip.jpg

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Just be careful as You need to make sure the part you are pulling or destroying is available. I having a lot parts lately being NLA.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
I will have a look at the ones I have down stairs tomorrow if I don't sleep till midday
36 C right now at 1 am .
And yes parts for the articulated mowers always take a while to come in.

Hammermechanicman

Lawn Addict
Threads
If the blades overlap then there has to be a shear pin or they can strike each other if they get out of time
Part 506 94 55-01 in the diagram below which came from K & T web page if Star did not send you one
Despite there being 2 in each blade pack, you only fit one at a time
Bummer about the deck not flipping up
I have the dumped mowers here, plus 2 of the US cheapie version plus a Pro-Flex and they all have flip ups so I assumed that all of them were flip up.
View attachment 63486
It does not have that type of blade adapter or blades. The blades have a single hole in the middle and blade adapter is just round.

Hammermechanicman

Lawn Addict
Threads
Just be careful as You need to make sure the part you are pulling or destroying is available. I having a lot parts lately being NLA.
Yeah the first one was scary using the press. Second ine will be a challenge not to break the housing. I know what you mean about NLA parts.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Starting to sound like a franken mower
On some of the rear discharge decks the blades are not timed
They use the same spindle housing & bearings as the bio clip deck but a different spindle & blade adapter
However the single bolt is the same so it would be simple to put the non timed blades & adapters onto a timed spindle
Sounds like Bill the Bodger has been in there before you .