Things to look for when buying a used mower

slomo

Lawn Addict
Threads
Consumer Reports is not what it used to be. Their business practices are terrible and their reviews questionable as far as being impartial and unbiased. You're better off asking your next door neighbor's brother-in-law!
EXACTLY!!

alomo

slomo

Lawn Addict
Threads
People do not maintain mowers UNLESS there is a running issue. First thing gets replaced is the, wait for it, spark plug. People come on here and the ol' spark plug makes it to the top of their list.

Look at the yard of the seller. Could you find a new 1985 Chevy IROC Z if you cut the grass or does it look like "normal" humans live there? I would pass on any mower that was from an acreage meaning anything over an acre. You know they've been out in the DMZ hitting chains, barb wire fencing, stumps and so on.

Most will have carb issues and valve adjustments needed. Gotta' love those. (y)

slomo

Mogan

Forum Newbie
Threads
Hi people, i need a recommendation from the list of this products i found on this resource <deleted link> becuase i want to purchase one but don't really know how to decide a good one because i am new to this device, though i have been reading extensively about mowers for the past one month to ensure i don't miss out of the best deal. I'll be glad if anyone can suggest which one to choose.

Last edited by a moderator:

TheMachineries

Forum Newbie
Threads
Great Information. Now i get to know that my decision was right.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Great Information. Now i get to know that my decision was right.
Really ?
The pretend review site listed in Morgans thread was nothing more than an advertisement for Ammozone.
There was no useful information that is not available from the product brouchures which actually had more facts that the pretend review site.
SO I gather you are yet another Ammo Zone stooge if in fact your are a real person and not just a web bot or an Asian syndicate that gets paid to post & raise the google profile of trash we would be better off not wasting electrons on in the first place /

andy505

Forum Newbie
Threads
Great thanks for sharing

Richard Milhous

Threads
Slomo, I'm staggered that you didn't say to look for crap buildup on the cooling fins...

hlw49

Lawn Addict
Threads
Or you could just by from me. I go through mine and fix everything it needs. Not had but one back and that was because of ignition modules. One of those Kohlers were you have to replace them both as a kit.

slomo

Lawn Addict
Threads
Usually used mowers have some running issue. Most are mowed into the ground till they won't run anymore.

On every new to me used mower, I look EVERYTHING over. Valves are out of spec. Fins and block are filthy. Carb usually fouled up. Carb linkages been "played" with. 3 oil dumps till she has normal oil color again. Usually never mke any money selling. Blades are shall we saw worn out. And that was being gentle. Have similar balance of a teeter-totter. Or installed upside down LOL.

I've never picked up a good running used mower that was up to my standard. Everything on it is suspect........