The word 'lawn'

touree

Threads
I was breaking down the word lawn mower and began to look into the history of their invention. Someone also mentioned that the popularity of the lawn sports contributed to further invention of the mower.

How true are these sentiments?

Two-Stroke

Lawn Addict
Threads
Here's the Wikipedia entry for "lawn". The history is pretty interesting. Lawns date back to the Middle Ages in Europe and before the invention of "mowing machines" you could either cut grass with a scythe or employ some goats or other grass-eating animals. I would go with the goats.

SeniorCitizen

Lawn Addict
Threads
I was breaking down the word lawn mower and began to look into the history of their invention. Someone also mentioned that the popularity of the lawn sports contributed to further invention of the mower.

How true are these sentiments?
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
It may have been found more desirable to play croquet on a mechanically maintained lawn rather than one covered in sheep poop.:laughing:

junebug1701

Threads
Imagine what it must have been like hundreds of years ago. Back when "lawn mower" wasn't a machine, but an occupation! "Here's your scythe, get to work!" :smile:

AndyMan

Threads
Lawns date back to the Middle Ages in Europe

So, if lawns date back to the Middle Ages, what do you suppose they had before that? Was it just weeds with paths trampled down leading to the stream, the outhouse, the hunting grounds, and Ye Olde Starbucks? :biggrin:

mois25

Threads
Haha, I like all your lines of thoughts. The past 100 years or so must have been an interesting age to live in if our imaginations are anything to go buy.

In that case, there is a high chance that the situation 50 or so years from now will be so much different.

wmalifer

Forum Newbie
Threads
Imagine what it must have been like hundreds of years ago. Back when "lawn mower" wasn't a machine, but an occupation! "Here's your scythe, get to work!" :smile:

Hey hey, its still an occupation for some! :smile:

brucesdeere

Threads
I own a scythe, I can honestly tell you I have never used it. I also have a machete as well, never used it either, both were acquired for bushwhacking. I prefer my John Deere to my scythe.

abeja_reina_1989

Threads
Isn't it crazy how things change? I mean, at one point, there was no such thing as a lawn. What a crazy concept, right?

KennyV

Lawn Pro
Threads
I own a scythe,
I also have a machete as well, never used it either,

I have both and have used both, a lot...

BUT it has been decades since I last used ether and I never hope to use them again... :smile:KennyV