Tecumseh formula 11hp issue

Vega3410

Forum Newbie
Threads
20190729_192203.jpg

So I looked in the tank after work and seen this piece of crap. I siphoned all the gas out with my clear hose. I seen several pieces of crap flow by. I'm going to clean out the tank and try again..

cpurvis

Lawn Addict
Threads
I had a similar problem with a 10 HP Tecumseh on a generator.

My engine had a low oil shutdown system. The oil was registering midway between low and full on the dipstick but when I filled it up to the full mark, the problem went away.

tadawson

Threads
If that crap made it to the float bowl (broken up finer) it can slowly plug the jets due to being drawn in. Once the engine dies, it drops off (but is still in suspension) and the cycle repeats. When you have not run it for a while, it falls to the bottom of the bowl, and takes longer to get stirred up again.

Clean it end to end - tank, lines, and carb . . . Oh, and old disintegrating fuel line can do this as well

Vega3410

Forum Newbie
Threads
Cleaned out the fuel system filtered the gas and over filled the oil a touch... generator once again ran about an hour with a good load on it (hooked to rv with air on). I missed it initially shut down but I restarted it and ran maybe 5 min with same load surged a couple times and shut down. Any other ideas?

Russ2251

Threads
Something was missed OR has resurfaced.
Surging always indicates a lean fuel/air mix.

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
I would now say it is time to have an experienced mechanic take a good look at the carb. Possibly rebuilding it. As I said earlier that is not a carb which I would advise an amateur to take on, I don’t even like to work on them and I rebuild carbs just about every day. As said earlier, crap may have gotten into the carb and is floating around. If you decide to tackle it yourself, be aware that carb can run over $100to replace.

Vega3410

Forum Newbie
Threads
I seen new carbs are around $100.. I'm debating buying one right now..

tadawson

Threads
Rebuilding is less than $20 and about an hour of your time in most cases. Very few reasons to replace a carb unless you just plain want to . . .

Russ2251

Threads
Very few reasons to replace a carb unless you just plain want to . . .
I agree...
What will you do if problem still exists?
Unless it is known for sure that carb is the problem, purchasing a new one may just make wallet lighter.

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
As I stated in my earlier post, rebuilding this carb is not something I would recommend a novice attempt. I don’t like doing them and I rebuild an average of a carb a day. It looks very simple, but you must disassemble it first to get the correct kit and being all plastic things warp, jets strip easy, O-rings twist, parts just fall out, etc. just my opinion.