Export thread

Tecumseh formula 11hp issue

V

Vega3410

Hello.. my first post here.. I recently purchased a Coleman generator with a tecumseh 11hp motor on it.. the issue I'm having is itll run about 10 min and then surge for a second then shutoff.. you can choke it and it fires up runs for a min and stalls.. I've cleaned the carb twice replaced the spark plug fuel filter and put in fresh gas.. I'm not sure where to look next..

Russ2251

Russ2251

Verify that cap is venting.
If it is not, engine will behave exactly as you are describing.
Surging indicates a lean condition.
There are other possibilities.

R

Rivets

When you cleaned the carb did you check the float level? Please post all engine numbers so we can see what carb you have.

V

Vega3410

Loosened cap.. ran about 45 minutes.. longest since I've had it.. didnt notice float level..

It's a Coleman generator model# PMA525500.01
Tecumseh formula 11hp motor..

R

Rivets

Depending on age, either stamped in the top or side of the shroud or black and silver tag on side of shroud. Need all numbers.

V

Vega3410

20190728_151056.jpg

Russ2251

Russ2251

Loosened cap.. ran about 45 minutes..
Did it stall out again...same symptoms?

V

Vega3410

Yes just stalls.. starts right back.. runs a few minutes and stalls again..

Russ2251

Russ2251

I suspect another issue.
The fact that it takes so long for engine to run lean and then to surge and then stall
tells me there is a slow blockage taking place.
There must be a trash buildup somewhere in the fuel supply, likely in bottom of tank.

R

Rivets

I agree, make sure the tank has nothing floating in it. If that fails to solve the problem I would then look at the carb, which is one that I hate to work on. No real adjustments, only thing you can do is purchase a bowl kit and replace the entire lower part of the carb.

V

Vega3410

20190729_192203.jpg

So I looked in the tank after work and seen this piece of crap. I siphoned all the gas out with my clear hose. I seen several pieces of crap flow by. I'm going to clean out the tank and try again..

cpurvis

cpurvis

I had a similar problem with a 10 HP Tecumseh on a generator.

My engine had a low oil shutdown system. The oil was registering midway between low and full on the dipstick but when I filled it up to the full mark, the problem went away.

T

tadawson

If that crap made it to the float bowl (broken up finer) it can slowly plug the jets due to being drawn in. Once the engine dies, it drops off (but is still in suspension) and the cycle repeats. When you have not run it for a while, it falls to the bottom of the bowl, and takes longer to get stirred up again.

Clean it end to end - tank, lines, and carb . . . Oh, and old disintegrating fuel line can do this as well

V

Vega3410

Cleaned out the fuel system filtered the gas and over filled the oil a touch... generator once again ran about an hour with a good load on it (hooked to rv with air on). I missed it initially shut down but I restarted it and ran maybe 5 min with same load surged a couple times and shut down. Any other ideas?

Russ2251

Russ2251

Something was missed OR has resurfaced.
Surging always indicates a lean fuel/air mix.

R

Rivets

I would now say it is time to have an experienced mechanic take a good look at the carb. Possibly rebuilding it. As I said earlier that is not a carb which I would advise an amateur to take on, I don’t even like to work on them and I rebuild carbs just about every day. As said earlier, crap may have gotten into the carb and is floating around. If you decide to tackle it yourself, be aware that carb can run over $100to replace.

V

Vega3410

I seen new carbs are around $100.. I'm debating buying one right now..

T

tadawson

Rebuilding is less than $20 and about an hour of your time in most cases. Very few reasons to replace a carb unless you just plain want to . . .

Russ2251

Russ2251

Very few reasons to replace a carb unless you just plain want to . . .
I agree...
What will you do if problem still exists?
Unless it is known for sure that carb is the problem, purchasing a new one may just make wallet lighter.

R

Rivets

As I stated in my earlier post, rebuilding this carb is not something I would recommend a novice attempt. I don’t like doing them and I rebuild an average of a carb a day. It looks very simple, but you must disassemble it first to get the correct kit and being all plastic things warp, jets strip easy, O-rings twist, parts just fall out, etc. just my opinion.

V

Vega3410

I'd be open to rebuilding the carb.. I've rebuilt tons of Holley carbs..

V

Vega3410

Threw new carb on tonight.. started right up with no choke.. ran 2.5 hours with a decent load on it... I'm called it good.. thanks everyone

Graybob

Graybob

I had the same issue. I use the same engine on a snowblower after changing the crank. It would consistently shut off and then restart without hesitation. I ruled out a lean condition as carbs will surge much longer than once or twice before they conk out if they ever do. The red light would flash on the on/off switch indicating a low oil condition. Oil lever was fine. I wasn't sure if it was a NO or an NC switch so I started it and cut the wire. the engine kept running and has never shut of again