Tecumseh BVS153 - rod knock or not?

XGamer223

Threads
I wanted to see pics to be able to talk you out of spending any money on this thing.
Well, the mower is serving me well. And it's a nice vintage mower with still perfectly working gearbox for the wheels, a key and a starter, a battery charger coil, and large bag, and everything pretty much is stock on it, nothing is broken and it cunts the highest grass without any issues. I find new mowers just meh... most are overpriced, full of unnecessary crap, have no manual throttle, and are built poorly and cheaply. My neighbour bought a brand new one, and after 3 hours of working, the gas tank started to leak, the traction barely works, the engine is underpowered, and bag handle broke and it leaves grass behind the mower with the bag on and it even struggles with the smallest grass.

Btw. the connection rod here costs around $20, and rings around $25. I hope it will give it a few more years of service.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Well, the mower is serving me well. And it's a nice vintage mower with still perfectly working gearbox for the wheels, a key and a starter, a battery charger coil, and large bag, and everything pretty much is stock on it, nothing is broken and it cunts the highest grass without any issues. I find new mowers just meh... most are overpriced, full of unnecessary crap, have no manual throttle, and are built poorly and cheaply. My neighbour bought a brand new one, and after 3 hours of working, the gas tank started to leak, the traction barely works, the engine is underpowered, and bag handle broke and it leaves grass behind the mower with the bag on and it even struggles with the smallest grass.

Btw. the connection rod here costs around $20, and rings around $25. I hope it will give it a few more years of service.

Correct in all but one point
Mowers are actually getting cheaper every day in real terms ( hours worked to pay for them ) .
My fathers first push mower was £ 45 45s 45p which was close enough to 2 months wages
That , down here would be $ 3750 ( Aus ) which is a lot to pay for a push mower, even if it does last fr 60 years

Fish

Lawn Pro
Threads
A big lip will tell you a lot quickly. I would not buy any parts until you tear it down totally.
An oversize piston and rings could be pricey.

XGamer223

Threads
Correct in all but one point
Mowers are actually getting cheaper every day in real terms ( hours worked to pay for them ) .
My fathers first push mower was £ 45 45s 45p which was close enough to 2 months wages
That , down here would be $ 3750 ( Aus ) which is a lot to pay for a push mower, even if it does last fr 60 years
Here where I live, the cheapest ones (which are total crap) would take me 2-3 monthly wages to pay it off, so. the cheapest ones are expensive for me. But I do feel like it's time to get a upgrade anyways.

XGamer223

Threads
A big lip will tell you a lot quickly. I would not buy any parts until you tear it down totally.
An oversize piston and rings could be pricey.
We'll see. Oversized pistons and tings are the last thing on my mind due to it is to find ANY piston for this engine, and a oversized/special one would be a real headache to get and/or pay for.
I really do hope honing will do the trick. If not, hey, buying oil every 2 weeks it is then.