TB22 EC String Trimmer Piston Rings

DanielM88

Forum Newbie
Threads
Hi all,

New guy here. A friend gave me his "old" TB22 EC string trimmer which had a broken piece in the pulley rope that prevented it from turning the flywheel. I fixed it, but out of my fascination with learning more about engines, I took the whole thing apart. I was attempting to put the piston back into the cylinder and managed to break one of the rings. I've looked high and low trying to find replacement piston rings to no avail. I wrote to TroyBilt and they said they don't have the piston rings available and couldn't give me the specs so that I could find them elsewhere. The only option they gave was to purchase a new short block for about $60.

Does anyone know where I could get replacement rings for this on their own?

dougand3

Threads
Search ebay TB22 EC piston ring. The Greek will have Cabers.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Piston rings are specified by
Bore ( measure yours )
With again measure yours, both metric & imperial
Metric rings are usually in .5mm incriments . imperial rings in 1/32" incriments
Radial depth
They are easy to replace once you know what you are looking for.
I sell a lot of piston rings that are "not available "

DanielM88

Forum Newbie
Threads
Thanks guys. I had actually seen the Greek Cabers and ordered them, only to realize their estimated shipping was like 2 months. Was curious if there was a faster way to find them.

If I can get all of the measurements, is there a seller that readily carries them (particularly ones that are so small for these types of engines)?

Really appreciate the help

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Well you have it in parts, measure the bore so we can stop guessing what size the bore is
The try Stens, Rotary & Prime line searching with xy mm piston ring.
One of them might have a ring in stock in the USA but you generally have to read the detail page to find all of the trimers they fit
There are only so many sizes of bores and widths of rings.
To keep costs down, most of these engines use standard size rings and standard pistons but the makers no longer put bore & stroke detail in their specifications to make it hard for owners to repair them.
Even the "greek" no longer puts the dimensions in the description like he used to
And he also no longer lists all of the engine that a particular ring fits to prevent people using his description to find an alternative suppler .
I would be very surprised if there was not a Husqvarna ring that fits .
The only thing to watch is you can not mix ring from a single ring & 2 ring engine as they have a different grinds so only the bottom end Stihl rings would fit if the dimensions were the same.

DanielM88

Forum Newbie
Threads
I ordered a dial caliper and will take the proper measurements tomorrow once it arrives and let you know.

DanielM88

Forum Newbie
Threads
Okay my dial caliper came in today and I've done some measurements:

Bore: 1-3/8" (35mm)
Radial Wall Thickness: 0.063" (appx 1.60mm)
Face: 0.046" (appx 1.17mm)

So far I haven't found the exact measurements anywhere. Actually, I notice a lot of places just give two dimensions (e.g. 35mm x 1.5mm) and I'm not sure which dimension the second number is referring to (I'm assuming it's the thickness). Also, my piston rings have these little points at the gap, I don't know what that's referred to but it looks just like this attached image

1602179542724.png

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
You are correct
35mm bore & 1.5 mm width
The funny gap shape at the end is a 2 stroke peg which is there to prevent the ring rotating and the gap edge getting caught on a transfer or exhaust port.
All 2 stroke rings are like that
So your ring is either a 35 x 1.2 which is a std metric ring
or
35mm x 3/64" which is a std imperial size.

If I was a gamleing man I would go for the 1.2mm as I seriously doubt than any USA factory actually makes these engines any more and if they do it would be assembled from parts imported from China .
My regular suppliers do not list that size
Tried to look at some ring makers catalogues but the slow internet times out
You could try
Total Seal
Full Circle
And any other USA based ring maker that other members might like to suggest
Most have an interactive catalogue so you can search for 1.2mm width , 35 mm bore or both
Even they hide the actual dimensions and the catalogues will be by make & models.
Regardless of who you gey them from, the rings will be made in China ( or Greese ) as no one else makes these small rings any more.
This is China's plan to dominate the planet

Last edited:

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
Boy what a ring at 35 inches diameter. I just want to see you put that in the cylinder.:ROFLMAO:

The Caber rings are easy enough to find for this engine if you know how to find them.