Substitute for Peerless Tecumseh mst-206-545c?

Elkins45

Threads
Here's an IPL. Do I need anything besides a new input shaft, key and retaining clip?

fullsizeoutput_20de.jpeg

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Pull it apart first and have a look befor you order anything .
The most commonly replaced parts are the shift keys which get broke because people shift while moving.
If you are going to make the effort & wear the grime you may as well do everything that needs doing while you are in there
But in a fix it quick & cheap, just the shaft & the seal will do .
While it is off pull the brake caliper off by removing the outside buts only then clean & polish the two pins which press on the pad.
Some light grease or never sieze on the pins before you put them back.

Elkins45

Threads
Pull it apart first and have a look befor you order anything .
The most commonly replaced parts are the shift keys which get broke because people shift while moving.
If you are going to make the effort & wear the grime you may as well do everything that needs doing while you are in there
But in a fix it quick & cheap, just the shaft & the seal will do .
While it is off pull the brake caliper off by removing the outside buts only then clean & polish the two pins which press on the pad.
Some light grease or never sieze on the pins before you put them back.
I found a used Spicer locally that I swapped in and the brakes were totally frozen. I bought it attached to an old mower frame and I guess it must have been sitting in the dirt for a while. It took a few squirts of Kroil and a big punch but I finally broke them free. I went ahead and flipped over the brake pads while I had it off. So the good news is that I can work on my old Tecumseh at my leisure.

That's good advice on getting it apart before ordering parts, but I've been the only owner and I've never shifted in gear. so I hope the internals are in good shape. The input shaft sheared right where the groove for the retaining clip was, and the key was rusted into the shaft when I knocked the stub loose from the pulley. I thought the keys were supposed to shear first?

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Just to add two things. Be very careful when disassembling the two rows of gears, as they have very sharp edges and like to cut anything. Also note the direction you remove the shift washers (part #30) as they are directional and if you reverse any of them the unit will not shift properly.

Elkins45

Threads
Just to add two things. Be very careful when disassembling the two rows of gears, as they have very sharp edges and like to cut anything. Also note the direction you remove the shift washers (part #30) as they are directional and if you reverse any of them the unit will not shift properly.
I’m hopeful it won’t require taking those assemblies apart. That looks like a disaster just waiting to happen :)

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Really not that hard if you take your time. Will need to disassemble the shifter gears to check the shift keys for wear.

gunns

Threads
I have the same transaxle in my 1999 917.270812 mower. It won’t go up hill. The wheels don’t spin but kind of shudders back and forth (foreword and reverse about 1/2” each way) like something is slipping inside the transaxle. There’s no squealing like the drive belt Is slipping. Does anyone have experience on rebuilding these units and can determine what parts have failed? I’ve seen gear and shaft assemblies for sale so I guess I could rebuild it and save a few bucks. Not new to wrench spinning. Just rebuilt the LQ9 in our car. So I feel it’s doable.

Last edited:

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
I probably rebuilt between 25-50 of those trannies over the past 50 years and they are not that difficult if you have the patience and room to lay all the parts out as you are taking it apart. If you reread this thread you will get a few pointers as what to look for and be careful of. Particularly sharpness of parts and direction of washers between gears. Do not purchase any parts until you have cleaned and checked each component. Here is a service manual. https://www.mymowerparts.com/pdf/Tecumseh-Peerless-Transmissions-Transaxles-Differentials-Gear-Boxs/

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
It is possible. years ago I sheared a shaft by just braking so hard as I about to go over a four drop off. Real fun to push a mower a half mile.

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
Can't determine exactly what without going inside and checking things. It like a doctor you got heart problems but without looking inside he can't really tell what is wrong.