Substitute for Peerless Tecumseh mst-206-545c?

Elkins45

Threads
My 2005ish Craftsman LT200 (AYP) transaxle snapped off the main shaft. I don’t have the skill to rebuild it and Tecumseh is out of business. It’s a 6 speed manual, model mst-206-545c. Is there a direct replacement unit from another maker I could buy and swap in?

Scrubcadet10

Staff member
Threads
there's several floating around on Ebay, used and good condition. just punch that MST-206-545c in.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
You do have the skill
what you don't have is the knowledge or confidence in yourself.
We have the knowledge

Elkins45

Threads
You do have the skill
what you don't have is the knowledge or confidence in yourself.
We have the knowledge
What I need to do is replace the input shaft because it snapped right at the case. I presume I have to split the case to do that? I took out all the bolds and tapped around it a bit but it appears to be pretty well glued together.

The part is only 12 bucks. It would sure be nice if I could pop a new one in there.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Well you are better than 1/2 way there , don't stop now
The repair manual is here under Tecumseh K & C parts
Find an IPL and check that all of the case bolts are out
After that it is just a matter of prying on the pry places ( in manual ) till it splits .
Replace the lubricant and the seal if there is one .
The cases are genrerally held together with silicon .
Dumping the whole thing in petrol for a day or two will soften the silicon a bit.
Same story for cleaning the surface
A scoth brite pad dipped in petrol will generally shift the goo
And yes I LOATHE SILICON to .

Elkins45

Threads
Well you are better than 1/2 way there , don't stop now
The repair manual is here under Tecumseh K & C parts
Find an IPL and check that all of the case bolts are out
After that it is just a matter of prying on the pry places ( in manual ) till it splits .
Replace the lubricant and the seal if there is one .
The cases are genrerally held together with silicon .
Dumping the whole thing in petrol for a day or two will soften the silicon a bit.
Same story for cleaning the surface
A scoth brite pad dipped in petrol will generally shift the goo
And yes I LOATHE SILICON to .
IPL?

tom3

Lawn Addict
Threads
And take lots of picture when you're taking it apart. And I sometimes get a piece of cardboard, punch holes in it in the same pattern as the thing I'm working on, put the bolts in the holes to match where they came out. Sometimes gets tedious but can save a lot of head scratching a week or two later.

tom3

Lawn Addict
Threads
Any idea how that shaft got broken? Seems odd that could even happen.

Elkins45

Threads
Any idea how that shaft got broken? Seems odd that could even happen.
Well, it's been used quite a bit over the last 15 years, so I'm not surprised something broke, but I was also surprised when I took it off and the pulley just fell off. I was mowing beside a concrete driveway and went to cross to mow the other side. I guess the deck must have gotten out of adjustment because the deck edge caught on the edge of the driveway and it stopped me cold. It snapped with I stopped, or perhaps a fraction of a second later. I've snagged the deck on stuff before but the wheels always just spun until I could hit the clutch. I guess the cumulative stress just finally got to it.