Stuck in drive.

albion

Member
Hi, I just bought a second (more like 5 or 6) hand riding lawnmower, was advertised as a Craftsman but my brother-in law said it's a MTD 42" deck. Someone painted it black and painted over the model number under the seat but I scrapped off some of the dirt on the front of the engine and there's a number engraved there which I cannot read till I remove the front of the hood. The seller guess's it's a 1990 something.

Everything seems to work ok till I put it away in the shed and it wouldn't come out of drive. Today I checked the tranny lever and was able to move it into forward-neutral-reverse easily so I drove it around to the other side of the house and stopped but it wouldn't come out of drive again. I shut the engine off and was able to move the tranny lever again.

Would this be a simple clutch adjustment fix or am I not that lucky ? Thanks in advance.

Tranny is like this one from another post.
 

Attachments

  • old.jpg
    old.jpg
    355.8 KB · Views: 2
Hi again. I took the hood off my MTD/Craftsman and cleaned away some more dirt from the front of the engine to reveal these numbers, Model 281707, type 041101, code 900228 then what looks like 11.
Is the model number just for the engine ?
From what was said on another post I think it's a 1990 ? or at least the engine.
 
Yes it is the engine number only
You have got the numbers a little mixed up but basically a 28cu inch engine or 28000 series .
the 900228 II is the serial number 1990 feb 28th in factory II
 
Thanks bertsmobile1, working off this info I was a googling maniac yesterday looking up model numbers for tractors with this engine and most seem to be 1988/89/90/91. I couldn't find any that had a 7 speed like mine just 4, 5 or 6.? Deck size was either 36" or 38" but when I measured mine from one side to the other I get 46". should I measure the blade length instead ?she
Here are some pics of my tractor and like the seller said, it ain't pretty. Hopefully someone will know what model it is.1996.jpg
 
I could only attach this pic as it said others were too big and I couldn't enlarge it after I posted it.
 
Back
Top