Stuck in drive.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
The F-N-R lever should only be used when the mower is stationary & the clutch/bake pedal is pushed in.
The "gears or speeds" are nothing more then notches that prevent the clutch /brake pedal returning to it's full height .
This changes the tension on the belt which changes the position of the sliding sheave on a double pulley which naurally changes the relative diameters of the pulley.
In princile exactly the same as the stepped pulleys on a pedistal drill or bench lathe.

albion

Threads
The F-N-R lever should only be used when the mower is stationary & the clutch/bake pedal is pushed in.
The "gears or speeds" are nothing more then notches that prevent the clutch /brake pedal returning to it's full height .
This changes the tension on the belt which changes the position of the sliding sheave on a double pulley which naurally changes the relative diameters of the pulley.
In princile exactly the same as the stepped pulleys on a pedistal drill or bench lathe.
Thanks bertmobile1 that's interesting info about the clutch. Think I will have to find out how the tractor likes to be driven.

Fish

Lawn Pro
Threads
Take off the cover between your legs, where the forward/reverse lever is, so you can watch the belts/pulleys. It will not want to go in F or Rev if the belts are still moving, so check things out.

albion

Threads
Take off the cover between your legs, where the forward/reverse lever is, so you can watch the belts/pulleys. It will not want to go in F or Rev if the belts are still moving, so check things out.
Thanks Fish, I did take that plate off and the lever goes into all three positions without a problem but I've not tried it with the plate off and engine running but will do.

albion

Threads
Just a little update on my 1990 MTD mystery lawn tractor. The grass is tall enough and it wasn't too hot today so I did my first lawn cutting with it. It still doesn't want to come out of forward but I found out it will if I make like I'm on a bucking bronco and catch it at the right moment. :)(y) BTW, it's not a pretty sight.:giggle: