Stihl MS271

kjonxx

Threads
I bought the non nikasil kit and still runs strong after 2 yrs. Just don't make fatal mistake on any saw and go 50 to 1. No less then 40 to 1 or risk smokeing the cyl. I have used this rule for the last 5 yrs of business and never had a problem.

Clake4341

Forum Newbie
Threads
Ok to really fix my MS271 I plan to rebuild using MS291 cyclinder and piston kit I will be using a new intake boot as well as all the new parts. reason for this is I scored the piston with bad fuel mixture and cannot seem to find MS271 cyclinders anywhere so I'm going with ms291 parts hopefully all these parts when I get will fit the ms271 framing and I will check out the Nikasil coated parts

Clake4341

Forum Newbie
Threads
well I think right I have used 50 to 1 mixture from Stihl for years and never had a problem till now but this could be my own fault as the 50-1 fuel I used was at least 1 year old

chuckpen

Threads
Ok to really fix my MS271 I plan to rebuild using MS291 cyclinder and piston kit I will be using a new intake boot as well as all the new parts. reason for this is I scored the piston with bad fuel mixture and cannot seem to find MS271 cyclinders anywhere so I'm going with ms291 parts hopefully all these parts when I get will fit the ms271 framing and I will check out the Nikasil coated parts

check those bearings and replace if plastic caged.

dont use pre-mix fuel. Check out what Chickanic has to say. you may have burned your saw by using pre-mix. She has a couple rants on pre-mix and does not like the fuel at all. There are a couple vids you can search for on her youtube page. here is one.

Fish

Lawn Pro
Threads
Devolve into an oil thread???

brow.JPG

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
Even if you use the correct fuel mix as the saw's engine ages the running mixture will gradually lean out as the metering diaphragm stiffens. This leaning out will cause cylinder damage over time. And this is not corrected before the new cylinder is installed it will also suffer the same damage.

Here I use a Pro multi mix oil that specs it is for 16:1 to 50:1 engines. So far in 13 yrs other than me straight gassing a couple leaf blowers I had only 2 cycle toasted and it was one I loaned out while I was repairing a BG86 blower. The user claimed to have use Stihl fuel oil in it. Well according to the cylinder damage I saw it was straight gassed.

Hammermechanicman

Lawn Addict
Threads
Ok, the ground rules are:
Check all guns and knives at the door.
No kicking, spitting or scratching.
No throwing of oil bottles or beer bottles.
No kicking people's dogs.
Only mild profanity allowed.