Stihl MS271

Clake4341

Forum Newbie
Threads
I have a ms271 I have always used pre-mixed fuel however the last time the fuel was about 1 year old(stupid me) and I ended up with scored piston and whos know what else so now I am looking for a cyclinder and piston kit ( after market) does anyone know where I could find kits also
does anyone know if their are saws with the same config such as ms 260,ms291 etc.

thanks

Fish

Lawn Pro
Threads
The MS291 is the same thing, but a bigger piston/cylinder.

ILENGINE

Lawn Pro
Threads
You have to watch the MS271 because they used two different cylinder piston setups on that saw. One has 3 holes and other has 4 holes on the intake side.

Clake4341

Forum Newbie
Threads
so ilengine is there an easy way of determining which one I have or do I take it apart to check and question 2 once I find out how will I know when I purchase do they normally have it written in description or is it a bit of a guessing game?

thanks

Clake4341

Forum Newbie
Threads
The MS291 is the same thing, but a bigger piston/cylinder.
if it's a bigger cyclinder and piston would the anchor bolts still fit and than all other parts would they all fit as well??

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Pull off the 2 side covers and you will be able to see the bolts
Yes you can upsize the saw, that is often my selling point when it comes to repairing them
I get my pistons & barrels from Farmer Tech in China , ordered directly from them.
Fitted perhaps 50 or 60 over the years & never had a problem .
Most important thing is to photograph every part before you remove it & after you remove it or you will be spending a lot of time here ,
Fish sells good quality gear via ebay you might like to PM him
And be very careful to put the piston on right way round and even more careful with the piston rings they and the piston are easily damaged if handled carelessly.
The piston will go in with nothing more than light finger force

Fish

Lawn Pro
Threads
The only danger you might come across if upgrading or replacing the piston cylinder is that they had a change in the intake boot, so you need to make sure that yours is the correct one or get the correct one if needed. I just include the boot with the piston/cylinder so the customer {or I} doesn't have to worry about it.
Here is a video I made one day on the MS271 teardown.

Fish

Lawn Pro
Threads
I made it mainly to show how I remove the clutch and flywheel, and my teardown time is fairly quick anymore.

chuckpen

Threads
I have read that the Nikasil coated piston and cylinder are better. I upgraded a MS290 to an MS390 with a Nikasil coated set. Maybe others could comment on this coating and if it is worth the extra $$'s.
Also, do not know bout the MS271 but a couple MS250's I have worked on had crank bearings with PLASTIC ball bearing retainers. I like a better quality bearing and would look at the MS271 bearings as well to make sure they are good quality (IE not Plastic retained ball bearings)