Stihl fs 90r

Bacon8r

Threads
Hey guys,
Has anyone used a fs 90 r? Are they good, or should I go higher or lower? I am looking to trim normal yards commercially, but still be able to tackle some hi weeds and stuff like that on occasion.

Ric

Lawn Pro
Threads
Hey guys,
Has anyone used a fs 90 r? Are they good, or should I go higher or lower? I am looking to trim normal yards commercially, but still be able to tackle some hi weeds and stuff like that on occasion.

The Stihl Fs 90r is a real good trimmer, I've used mine for the last two seasons and have never had any problems. I do sixty plus lawns a week and use the FS 90r and it is more than sufficient for trimming any normal yards and tackling most anything you want to trim. I have ocassionally used the 0105 gator line on the thing without problems.
Another thing that you need to remember and that you may already know is that the Stihl trimmer doesn't run or sound the same as the Echo. It's going to use a little more gas than the echo because it has a larger motor for one and it's not a two stroke engine, it's a four stroke. :thumbsup:

Last edited:

lakeviewpe

Threads
It has sufficient power to do mostly anything you need. It does have a solid drive-shaft so you could, if needed put other gearboxes on it to do more tasks. The head is easy to respool and holds the most line out of any of them out there, redmax also holds alot of line.

True it is a four stroke engine, however you still mix gas and oil. The engine will sound quieter than others but still has the power.

When you run this for a while, coul dbe 50 or 60 hours or so, if you feel it being hard to pull the rope, than you have to adjust the valves. You should opnly have to do this one time, after that, you should be set and not have to worry about that again.

You will want to use a higher quality oil mix, fully synthetic is recommended otherwise it will tend to clog the muffler up.

Ric

Lawn Pro
Threads
It has sufficient power to do mostly anything you need. It does have a solid drive-shaft so you could, if needed put other gearboxes on it to do more tasks. The head is easy to respool and holds the most line out of any of them out there, redmax also holds alot of line.

True it is a four stroke engine, however you still mix gas and oil. The engine will sound quieter than others but still has the power.

When you run this for a while, coul dbe 50 or 60 hours or so, if you feel it being hard to pull the rope, than you have to adjust the valves. You should opnly have to do this one time, after that, you should be set and not have to worry about that again.

You will want to use a higher quality oil mix, fully synthetic is recommended otherwise it will tend to clog the muffler up.

I would recommend the Stihl HP Super it's a premium quality oil, it's partial synthetic and contains a fuel stabilizer and a mixing agent (solvent) to aid in mixing with gasoline. STIHL recommends a mix ratio of 50:1 high quality (89 octane minimum) regular unleaded gasoline. It's basically the mid range in the Stihl oil and it runs $60 a gallon and is enough to pay oil, thank goodness it makes 50 gallons of mix.

lakeviewpe

Threads
I sell the HP Ultra for 64.00 a gallon. Leaves little or no carbon build up in the engine. The fuel stabilizers that comes in the oils is not made for fuels with ethanol as of yet. The new oils for next year may start putting the new stabilizer in it, but since there are still places (up north mostly) that you can get gas without ethanol, they still use the old stabilizers.

Make sure if you buy stabilizers that it says on the bottle somewhere that it is made for ethanol blends.

zark

Forum Newbie
Threads
I am thinking by now you have purchased and used a new Stihl trimmer for several months. Curious as to what you got and how you like??
About three or more years ago I bought a FS-250 and have had great luck with it. Trimming grass, weeds, brush, etc. It is one really great cutting trimmer and I use a couple different blade types for the heavier than grass stuff.

KennyV

Lawn Pro
Threads
stihls are all good especially if commercial types

for tihl arts check here

Spamming every post with advertising is Not allowed...
Please check the Forum Rules & Terms of Use ... you will find them at the bottom of Every Page... :smile:KennyV

mikeypizano

Threads
I LOVE my FS90r but I have a slight problem with it. I can't seem to get it to idle. It will sputter out after a few seconds and it takes like 6 pulls to restart. It will start first pull when I take it out of the shed, just put throttle to start and pull cord. What should I adjust? I got it last year in middle of summer.

honestblades

Threads
They are pretty good trimmers. The fs 90r is just an upgraded model of the discontinued fs80. I had been using an fs80 everyday for the past 5 years until late this past summer. I purchased a fs100 rx. I had someone else pick it up for me due to them being closer to the dealership than me. On the phone I was told that the trimmer was more powerfull and lighter than the fs90. When It arrived at my house that evening I picked it up and fooled with it. It starts on the first pull without using the choke. It honestly didn't feel any lighter to me.....UNTIL THE NEXT DAY WHEN I ACTUALLY USED IT. It will save your back all day long,and with .105 line it will knock down weeds and grass that is waist high with no trouble at all. My advice is to get the fs100 rx. Even 20 years from now when technology is better I still can't see there being a better weedeater. It's awesome. And what really surprised me was the small price difference over the fs90.