Stihl 025

Fish

Lawn Pro
Threads
Since it starts with starter fluid, does it keep running, or die when the starter fluid is burned off?

kjonxx

Threads
I was thinking cracked boot also
If all the rubber on the 025 is original it really is time to replace them. Fuel, oil and impulse hoses. Fuel and oil filters. The crank seals and intake boot and the clutch drum bearing for good measure. Some stuff is available OEM still or aftermarket from HL Supply. Crank seals are fun to change. I just did an 028 a couple weeks ago.

Since you say it runs on starting fluid it has at least enough primary and secondary compression to run the saw.

Remove the carb and see if you can easily suck fuel out of the fuel line. If you can then install carb and pull the rope a dozen times then remove carb and remove the fuel pump side of the carb ( one screw) and see if there is fuel in that part of the carb. If not your impulse is not working. The small hole in the rubber intake boot the carb bolts up to is the impulse.

Sherman Anderson

Forum Newbie
Threads
only starts when using starting fluid , Replaced: air filter ,vent filter ,carburetor , spark plug ,fresh gas ,spark arrestor is clean. Any suggestions ?
You might have straight-gassed that engine. If so take it to an authorized STIHL shop for them to disassemble and repair. Or, Add one ounce of seafoam additive to fuel tank. Avoid using starter fluid on any two-cycle engine. Better to use carb cleaner instead because it has a bit of oil in it.

Threads
I would check the tank filter, check the mix you are using. Turn low and high screws to right to stop do not force, then turn each a half a turn counter clockwise and try to start, May have to adjust until it starts then you can set by ear you want and nice idle and immediate Rev when you start pulling trigger

Hammermechanicman

Lawn Addict
Threads
You might have straight-gassed that engine. If so take it to an authorized STIHL shop for them to disassemble and repair. Or, Add one ounce of seafoam additive to fuel tank. Avoid using starter fluid on any two-cycle engine. Better to use carb cleaner instead because it has a bit of oil in it.
Most stihl dealers won't work on a saw that old as the cost to fix is probably more than a customer is willing to pay plus lack of parts availability. Easy to check P&C condition by just pulling the muffler and looking. OEM P&C probably around $200 and being a being a clamshell engine another $200 labor plus a dealer will want to change all the rubber lines and intake boot to warranty it. Since he says it runs on starting fluid i doubt it has been straight gassed.

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
Most stihl dealers won't work on a saw that old as the cost to fix is probably more than a customer is willing to pay plus lack of parts availability. Easy to check P&C condition by just pulling the muffler and looking. OEM P&C probably around $200 and being a being a clamshell engine another $200 labor plus a dealer will want to change all the rubber lines and intake boot to warranty it. Since he says it runs on starting fluid i doubt it has been straight gassed.
Yes most Stihl simply think they are better than anyone else. I got news for them I can usually run rings around them. Any good confident small 2 cycle shop can repair these; although, some of the parts will need to from a Stihl dealer. Neither of the two local Stihl dealer are very good on the equipment. Heck one couldn't even find a bad spark plug.

Now the 025 did come with either a 42mm or more commonly the 42.5mm PNC with or without Decompression plug. If rebuilding with new PNC I would go with the 42.5mm with decompression. An after market version can be gotten from HL Supply reasonably priced. You can even sub in an after market MS250 short block. Same saw except they renamed it with some improved parts.

As far as the rubber parts it depends on their condition as they don't always need replacing.

chuckpen

Threads
That's one of the problems here with users. Most don't have the knowledge yet alone the proper tools. Even with all the tools I have I am constantly having to add specialized tools.

Just because you know 4 cycle engines doesn't mean you know 2 cycle engines. They are a completely different beast. It took me nearly two years of constantly working on them to get anywhere good at repairing them. And it is a lot harder learning 2 cycles after you learn 4 cycles. It like flying aircraft. It is harder to learn rotary wing after learning fix wing.
Knowledge can be gained and tools can be purchased.

Threads
I am an OPE Technician for John Deere and work on all kinds of Stihl Equiptment, I got manuals at my disposal

Hammermechanicman

Lawn Addict
Threads
Got 2 stihl dealers near me and both charge $98/hr labor and they have enough service business they don't want to work on anything but what they sold. I get lots of older stihl saws in the shop they don't want to work on. I have saved a lot of saws from the dumpster.