stihl 011av oil in cylinder

Bansheetaz

Forum Newbie
Threads
Hi folks....I have an older 011av runs great. Only issue is that if it sits for awhile the bar oil will find its way into the crankcase and I will have to remove the plug and clear the cylinder before I can start it. Is this common for this saw? What is the fix? Its not a major problem just a bit annoying at times. Thank you for any help

reynoldston

Lawn Pro
Threads
The two chambers are together in the case, bar oil and gas. The gasket that separates two chambers is leaking. The saw will have to be taken apart and replace the gasket to repair it. Its a big job because the saw will have to come completely apart.

davbell22602

Lawn Addict
Threads
Sounds like the crankcase gasket is leaking or maybe a crack in the crankcase.

reynoldston

Lawn Pro
Threads
Sounds like the crankcase gasket is leaking or maybe a crack in the crankcase.

I had one in my shop a couple of years ago doing the same thing and the gasket fixed it is how I know about it.

MRCo.

Threads
I don't think it's worth putting the money in to replace the gasket, it's a huge job for a saw that is moly obsolete. I'd just put up with it and run it as is as long as it runs good when you clear it. Also, here's a second way oil can be getting in- the oiler on that saw is a diaphragm rig that is powered by cylinder pressure / vacuum. So a small pipe goes from the oiler to crank case- long shot, but just mentioning.

Fish

Lawn Pro
Threads
Yeah, take the oiler apart, that diaphragm might be cracked.

DSCN3238.jpg

reynoldston

Lawn Pro
Threads
I don't think it's worth putting the money in to replace the gasket, it's a huge job for a saw that is moly obsolete. I'd just put up with it and run it as is as long as it runs good when you clear it. Also, here's a second way oil can be getting in- the oiler on that saw is a diaphragm rig that is powered by cylinder pressure / vacuum. So a small pipe goes from the oiler to crank case- long shot, but just mentioning.

Like I said it was a couple of years ago and now that you mention it I do remember the bar oiler. Can't you get to that by not taking the saw completely apart? The saw I worked on the gas was going into the bar oil. I remember the job because it was one of them jobs I got into a lot deeper then I wanted to. As I also recall don't the rod needle roller just fall out into a pile when taken apart.

Bansheetaz

Forum Newbie
Threads
Ok thanks for the advise. Ill pull the oiler apart and see. If its not that ill wait for a rainy day to fix it. Saw runs great otherwise.

reynoldston

Lawn Pro
Threads
Yea, Shouldn't take long to fix. 2 hours down time?

If you are going to change the gasket in 2 hrs. boy you are slow. Is that with a coffee break also. I can do it that fast with one hand tied in back of me and two coffee breaks.