Starter problem

Thanks for your help. Jumper cables to good battery makes no difference.
OK
I wrote that detailed reply because we need detailed results in order to make a diagnosis
We need to isolate an engine problem from a mower problem and an electrical problem from a drive problem
If you are not willing to do the tests I have asked you to be and post the results then I can not help you
 
Using a jumper with a start button from the battery directly to the starter (as suggested here) it hits every time!~ Based on that I removed a the circuit run through an extra Ford type solenoid and seems to be fixed. Kinda strange since that circuit was added (by me) to try to resolve this issue in the first place, but what the heck. Don't know if there was a bad connection somewhere or what, but I'm calling it fixed and now for sale. Thanks everyone for your help and ideas.
 
I thought I had it fixed by removing all wiring to an added ford type solenoid and reverting to just the stock wiring, however, today it's back to taking several clicks before it finally cranks. I will try adding an extra ground from the engine to the frame to see if that helps.
 
I thought I had it fixed by removing all wiring to an added ford type solenoid and reverting to just the stock wiring, however, today it's back to taking several clicks before it finally cranks. I will try adding an extra ground from the engine to the frame to see if that helps.
 
My go to is to use jumper leads to bypass the battery cables, one at a time
Firstly to the solenoid & engine then directly to the starter motor .
Also try each test plugs in & plugs out
Then repeat using a known good battery from your car / truck .
Takes a bit of time but is worth it in the long run and ends up fixing the problem rather than circumventing it temporarly .
also pull the blower housing off & have a look at the actions of the starter
It could be wear in the starter preventing it engaging with the flywheel .
 
Remove the starter and bench test it. When jumping a battery to it in the mower, it has to do something, unless the gear is jammed. Can the flywheel be turned easily by hand, without the plug>
 
Back
Top